About United Learning
United Learning is a unique group of independent and state schools working together to achieve the best in everyone. Our vision is to provide excellent education so that all young people are able to make a success of their lives and, if we are to realise this vision, we need to make sure we attract, develop and reward the key ingredient – you.
Opportunity to play a role in the development of our highly successful Academy.
We are looking to appoint an able, highly motivated, enthusiastic and innovative Cover Supervisor. We want the best for our students and so you must be self-motivated with relevant experience working with pupils to enhance their learning. You must be committed to securing high standards and raising academic attainment for all students.
You will relate to the Academy’s ethos of “the best in everyone” and enjoy working with a rich, diverse group of young people in a dynamic and vibrant learning environment. Walthamstow Academy is sponsored by United Learning. As part of the largest group of Academies and independent schools, we offer outstanding professional development and career progression across both the maintained and independent sector.
To conclude, we need someone who is passionate about making a difference, please get in touch.
- The Cover Supervisor will be required to supervise classes for absent teachers and effectively manage the students whilst they are undertaking this work to ensure a constructive and consistent environment
- Supervise work that has been set by the teacher and respond to any questions from students.
- Collect completed work after the lesson and pass to the appropriate teacher.
- Ensure a clear, orderly environment in which the highest standards of learning take place during cover lessons.
- Ensure students are aware of the learning objectives at the start of the lesson and are able to reflect upon their learning at the end.
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure that students have equality of access to opportunities to learn and develop.
- Provide feedback to the appropriate teacher including the work set and the students' response.
- Report, as appropriate using the Academy’s agreed referral procedures, on the behaviour of students during the class and on any problems arising.
- Support the day to day work of the Academy as directed when not supervising classes - this will include break and lunchtime duties, assisting with administrative work and providing in class learning support.
- Invigilate examinations/testing and undertake other duties and supervisory tasks as requested.
- Work with other Cover Supervisors to ensure the cover function retains the high status and students' respect that it deserves.
- To act at all times in accordance with Academy policies and to provide a professional role model for students, parents and other staff
Working for us
Walthamstow Academy opened its impressive new building in 2006 and since then we have achieved excellent results both at GCSE and at A-Level. In 2017, Walthamstow Academy students achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.44 (which is in the top 18% of schools nationally). At A-Level, our students achieve excellently with many of them progressing to Russell Group institutions. Because we are so successful, the school is now full and oversubscribed on first choices alone.
We do not achieve these results by accident. At Walthamstow Academy, we believe in the best in everyone. We have a relentless focus on high expectations and aim to identify barriers to success and provide necessary support as quickly as possible to ensure our students achieve. We do not accept excuses and always strive for the best.
The Academy is proud of its multi-cultural character and we celebrate the diversity of heritage in our community. 84% of our students are from minority ethnic groups, many coming from African, Caribbean, Eastern European, Turkish and Pakistani communities.
Within the community served by the academy there is social and economic disadvantage with more than half of the students being eligible for Pupil Premium. One third of the students have a first language other than English and a significant number have low levels of literacy on entry. Many students enter the Academy with low levels of attainment and the staff work hard to add value to their performance. Standards across the Academy are above national averages in most subjects.
The Academy is located close to the North Circular Road, M11 and both Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow Central underground stations from where it takes about half an hour to get into central London. The Academy is situated in a part of London where property prices are still relatively inexpensive and within easy access of Epping Forest, the Lee Valley and rural Hertfordshire and Essex.
Walthamstow Academy has achieved the CPLD Gold Award in recognition of our investment in professional development, because we know that without our wonderful staff, what we have achieved would not be possible, so thank you for your interest in coming to work with us. It starts with someone like you believing you can contribute further to our community.
Please apply online by clicking on the following link https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1153049?cid=1567
Closing date: Thursday 22 February 2018 at 9am
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.