Founded in October 2014, SAM Labs is an award-winning edtech startup in East London which aims to inspire every student to discover the fun in coding and creating. SAM Labs combines apps, wireless hardware blocks and bespoke education content to teach students to unleash their creative potential. With SAM Labs, create anything from a Twitter-powered car to a motion-powered lightsaber!
We are now on the hunt for a passionate Curriculum Designer to join our team. You will be part of the product team and are responsible for writing engaging and original lesson plans, teacher guidance and lesson materials. Your high-quality content will ensure that we can inspire every student to discover the fun in coding and creating!
- Conceptualise, write and edit original lesson plans for our content modules (which currently includes STEAM and Learn to Code)
- Write and edit student activities and hands-on practicals (using the SAM Space App and SAM robotics kits)
- Write and edit teacher guidance and ‘getting started’ materials
- Write and edit our content blog
- Produce assets for lesson plans and materials
- Participate in instructional support videos where required
- Model instruction for teachers where required
- Support the recruitment and management of part-time curriculum writers
- Support the development of our long-term content strategy
- 5+ years teaching experience in a primary or secondary classroom setting
- Demonstrable expertise in subject knowledge and subject pedagogy in science, mathematics, coding, robotics and or computing
- Knowledgeable about education policy and statutory standards within and across our major markets (preferably US, UK and China)
- Knowledgeable formative and summative assessment with experience designing reliable assessments for a range of students
- Experience designing instruction for students using robotics kits
- Experience designing instruction for teachers to utilise robotics kits in their instruction
- Experience designing professional development experiences for teachers
- Significant experience designing instructional resources for teachers
- Significant experience designing instructional curricula for a range of students in a range of settings
- Significant experience aligning statutory standards to curriculum and evidencing they've been met
Right for the role if you...
- Have exceptional writing skills, known to be clear and concise
- Have an eye for detail and design
- Can identify, from direct experience, with the classroom teachers
- Are a self-starter, takes initiative without needing direction
- Have strong interpersonal skills, able to establish effective working relationships with colleagues
- Are able to make clear and convincing recommendations for curricular improvement
- Are resourceful and creative-able to think of new ways to engage students and teachers
- Enjoy the pace and hard work of a startup environment
- A background in curriculum publication is a plus
- Have a sense of humour
We move at high speed, and will provide you with immense opportunities for initiative, creativity and ownership. You will be part of a highly international team of motivated and talented people on a mission to be key players in the future of education. Your thoughts and ideas are likely to be challenged by everyone in the team, including David in Sales, Michael in Software, Adam in Operations, and Catherine in Finance. At the same time, Wies will try to get people to do sports, Giulio will make sure you can have a go at board games and Liz will give us plenty of new music to listen to.
At SAM Labs we value optimism, collaboration, a sense of ownership, the ability to embrace ambiguity, talk-less-do-more attitude, learning from failure, and making the team successful. If you identify with our values and want to contribute to SAM Labs, we’d love to have you.
Closing date for applications is 30th July 2018
Please see application link: https://boards.greenhouse.io/samlabs/jobs/1169352#app