Deputy Head (Academic)
Background and Purpose:
This role will be responsible to the Headmaster for the day-to-day running of the academic side of The Beacon. As part of the Executive Team, you would play an important leading role in championing and implementing our school’s strategic vision and 5-10 Year Plan (as agreed by the Governing Body).
You would act as primary lead on Teaching and Learning, working closely with Heads of Section and Departments and representing the academic strand of our school at executive level to forward ideas and participate in top-level decision making to further develop the school’s Teaching and Learning agenda.
You would work closely with the Executive Team and in particular, the Senior Master who has responsibility for leading the Senior Management Team and the pastoral side of the school. You would be required to ‘step into the Headmaster’s shoes’ at times to cover in his absence, and present at/host/attend events. You would be expected to provide strong stewardship and act as a trusted partner to the Headmaster helping him to manage day-to-day operations and ensure a smooth running of the school.
Principal Leadership Responsibilities
· Support the Headmaster with the day-to-day running of the academic side of the School and deputise for the Headmaster in his absence where requested
· Attend and actively contribute to ET (Executive Team) meetings and attend all SMT (Senior Management Team) meetings
· Take the lead role on rigorous whole school self-evaluation and to ensure thorough departmental self-evaluation
· To participate in prospective parents/boys’ meetings and tours, showcasing the school and helping to assess potential new pupils
· To participate in meetings with parents and advising them on future school choices and options
· To actively contribute to pastoral care (of pupils and staff) and play a role on the Staff Wellbeing Committee
· To attend, write reports and present at governor meetings as required
· Network and attend events generating positive outcomes for the school and write ‘thought pieces’ - school newsletters, newspaper/magazine/journals to promote The Beacon as a place of knowledgeable and respected thinking and opinions
· Contribute to the school’s charitable outreach initiatives
· To visit, track and monitoring other schools’ offerings, discussing likely trends across the sector and generating new and innovative ideas for our own school
· To teach a reduced timetable and contribute to the events and extra-curricular programme
· To be generous with praise – recognising and acknowledging staff and boys’ efforts and contributions
· Actively lead the School’s Teaching and Learning agenda, including the Prep School Baccalaureate, and to ensure the boys have access to the very highest standards of teaching and learning
· Be responsible for academic staff, including training and development by proactively managing their Professional Development Reviews and determining the annual ‘all teaching staff’ objectives.
· Oversee teaching staff allocations and timetable management
· Responsible for effective management of staff cover
· In conjunction with Heads of Section and Senior Master to regularly review data on pupil achievement and potential
· Attend and coordinate preparation for ISI inspections
· Attend and contribute to the meetings and organisation of the management of the Prep School Baccalaureate
· To be an active member of ICT Steering Committee
· Be actively involved in digital and innovation projects for the school
· Deliver operational synergies between IT technologies and the classroom
The successful candidate will, where E is essential, and D is desirable:
· Be an exceptional and experienced educator (E)
· Have a strong track record of leadership within a highly regarded school (E)
· Have the drive and desire to move upwards – to be a future Head (E)
· Have a passion for the highest standards of teaching and learning, with proven ability of achieving ways to improve teaching and learning opportunities and capabilities (E)
· Have a genuine interest in people and developing others – able to coach and mentor professional staff (E)
· Have the capacity to lead change positively and enthusiastically (E)
· Be willing to embrace wholeheartedly the life of a busy independent day school (E)
· Be a confident and persuasive presenter able to champion the school by networking, hosting and speaking at internal and external events (E)
· Have IT and project management experience (D)
· Have an understanding of and interest in school marketing and development (D)
Please complete the Application Form in full (CVs cannot be accepted), which is available from the school website, send with a covering letter by e-mail to email@example.com or by post to Mr W T Phelps, Headmaster, The Beacon School, Amersham Road, Chesham Bois, Amersham, Bucks HP6 5PF, by Wednesday 22nd November 2017.