This is an exciting opportunity for an exceptional teacher to join the school in this key leadership position.
The British International School of New York (BIS-NY) is a dynamic and nurturing community educating children from 3 to 18 at our stunning Waterside campus in Manhattan. We are proud to welcome families from around forty countries to our school, which delivers a distinct and innovative curriculum, combining the International Baccalaureate, English National Curriculum and Cambridge International Examinations. Alongside this rigorous and engaging curriculum, the school is also committed to providing a broad and inspiring wider programme in sport, the creative and performing arts and community service. The warmth of relations across the school and close, constructive co-operation with families are other essential elements which help make the school such a great place to work and learn. September 2016 was the tenth anniversary of BIS-NY and this post arises because of the continued growth and development of the school. The school opened a new Upper School programme from September 2018 offering Cambridge International IGCSE and A Level courses. We are looking for talented, committed and enthusiastic individuals to join our exceptional team of staff and help make BIS-NY even better.
The Deputy Head will work closely with the Headmaster on the operational and strategic leadership of the school. S/he will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team comprising the Head, Deputy and Assistant Heads responsible for various aspects of the school and the Chief Financial Officer.
The successful candidate will be someone who can show leadership across the spectrum – academic, pastoral and co-curricular – and be committed to maintaining and promoting the highest standards of teaching, learning and personal development for students and staff. The role will also offer substantial opportunities to contribute to the strategic development of the school. It is an excellent opportunity for a candidate seeking to gain the experience to become a Head in a UK or international school.
The precise responsibilities of the position will be finalized based on the prior experience of the successful candidate, the needs of the school and the balance of expertise on the SLT. The main areas of responsibility will certainly include involvement in:
Student development and wellbeing
Curriculum leadership and oversight
Use of technology for innovation in learning and teaching
Day to day running of the school
Staff development and appraisal
Inspection and compliance work
Marketing and admissions
- Degree and teaching qualification.
- Evidence of further relevant professional development in curricular, pastoral or school leadership.
- A passion for education, combining a knowledge of traditional pedagogy with innovative approaches, putting children at the heart of all they do.
- Experience-based knowledge of strategies that have a positive impact on development of character and learning habits.
- Significant leadership and management experience to include having some impact at a whole school level.
- Evidence of challenging and supporting colleagues to improve performance.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of SLT, showing initiative and imagination and the ability to inspire, coach and enable others.
- Record of developing and sustaining positive working relationships with students, parents, staff and the local community.
- Experience of work in an international or diverse cosmopolitan learning community.
- Familiarity with the IB and/or English National Curriculum and willingness to undergo further training to maintain/enhance expertise as a school leader.
- Positive and open minded with analytical problem solving skills and a drive to find solutions.
- An excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a wider team.
- High levels of emotional intelligence, empathy and warmth towards children, colleagues and families and the ability to maintain good, robust relationships.
- High levels of personal and professional oganisation, integrity, positivity, discretion and confidentiality.
- Able to role model the high expectations we have of all members of our community, and the ethos of the school at all times.
- Sound judgement and the ability to take difficult decisions to resolve issues, especially when under pressure.
- Ability to communication concisely and sensitively both orally and in writing to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to promote the school to prospective and current parents and the local community, ensuring the attraction and retention of pupils and staff with high potential.
- Commitment to the use of current and emerging technologies to enhance the educational offering and administration of the school.
- A passion for excellence and a commitment to the ongoing development and implementation of the School’s Mission.
- A team player with leadership qualities.
- A reflective and flexible approach.
- Organized and able to self-direct.
- Positive, enthusiastic and energetic approach to work and life, with a can-do attitude.
- Ability to think creatively and imaginatively.
- Ambitious and aspirational for oneself, students and the school.
- Committed to professional development and demonstrate a willingness to undertake appropriate IB, English Curriculum or leadership training for this role.
Why work at BIS-NY?
Combining the IB, English National Curriculum and Cambridge International Examinations, BIS-NY ‘s unique curriculum inspires and challenges our students to develop a love of learning and develop as balanced individuals, academically successful and willing to take risks to face the challenges of an ever changing world of the 21st century.
Our students and teachers come from all walks of life, but the enthusiasm they share for learning and teaching helps to foster a unique sense of community that celebrates and thrives on diversity.
The British International School of New York is an IB World School authorised to teach both the PYP and MYP and we are looking to recruit creative and dynamic teachers who can model the IB Learner Profile and will contribute to the daily life of a diverse international community.
A strong commitment to collaboration and being part of a team is essential for those interested in applying to be part of our school community.
- Generous salary commensurate with experience.
- Teaching up to 40% of a full time allocation.
- Comprehensive benefits package – medical, dental, vision, retirement plan with employer match.
- Lunch is provided free of charge.
- Relocation allowance available for overseas and out of state hires.
- Subject to fingerprinting and background check.
- The post becomes available from September 2020.