Job reference: 005250
We are seeking an outstanding and experienced school leader to offer leadership and inspiration as part of the Primary Leadership Team (PLT) responsible for Teaching and Learning standards and the Curriculum. As a key member of the PLT you will play a major role in deciding on future academic direction. You will be an excellent communicator who enjoys positive relationships with colleagues, students, parents and be comfortable with technology and in leading change. To deliver our high standard of educational excellence, we are looking for leaders who are experienced, confident, well organised, have a good sense of humour and a willingness to participate fully in all aspects of school life within and beyond the classroom.
Will need to hold a good degree, or better, with a minimum of 3 years leadership experience, in the UK or a reputable British Curriculum International School.
Will be an excellent communicator, who gets on well with colleagues, students, parents, technology and change. Amongst other things, you will need to be dedicated to creating a love of learning amongst the students and understand the importance of enjoyment in the education process. You will need to be well organised; have a good sense of humour and an understanding of the expectations of high achieving international parents. While we are keen to attract applicants with high expectations, they will also need to have a flexible nature and an understanding that things do not always go to plan within China. If you are not able to deal with frustrations in a culturally sensitive manner this is not the post for you.
In fulfilling the requirements of the post, you will demonstrate essential professional characteristics, and in particular will:
- Demonstrate our core values and help to promote a love of learning within our student;
- Be personally, socially and academically ambitious for our students;
- Relentlessly pursue outstanding academic performance maintaining our reputation as the most academically successful school in Guangzhou
- Blend the best of British education with contemporary international education to create a distinctive positioning for the school
- Be passionate about children and their education;
- Be motivated to help improve an already high achieving school;
- Understand the needs of students who are learning English as a second language;
- Have the proven ability to build team commitment amongst colleagues;
- Oversee extension and enrichment activities to ensure that our students develop holistically.
- Assist the Head in leading teaching and learning within the Primary School and as part of a whole school approach.
- Demonstrate a commitment to providing students with a residential programme which is fully integrated into the Primary curriculum;
- Have proven experience of using reporting assessment to improve the quality of students' learning;
- Understand the importance of demonstrating respect for the many different cultures that make up our school along with the cultures and traditions of the host country;
- Manage financial budgets prudently and ensure value for money
- Plan Primary INSET programmes
- Coordinate the management of the Primary School CPD requirements and Performance Management processes for Primary staff
- Arrange cover for absent staff
Some key tasks and responsibilities of the post will include:
- Raising our profile within the wider school community with high quality Primary events;
- Marketing the school through the quality of Primary performances and events
- Encouraging Primary staff to provide a high quality student enrichment programme
- Promoting NAE collaborations with Juilliard, MIT, Kings College and UNICEF
- Ensuring Primary assemblies meet high expectations and promote parent advocates
- Promoting opportunities for Primary student performances
- Monitoring and intervening to ensure student progress is in line with our expectations
- Ensuring that teaching and learning encourages engagement and enquiry
- Ensuring that Primary tracking, monitoring, assessment and reporting, support student learning and meet the expectations of a largely Asian parental community
- Promote staff involvement in the Primary Instrumental Programme;
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional development through NAU
- Actively promote the opportunities that are available through Global Campus
- Other professional requirements in line with the Job Description.
THE BRITISH SCHOOL OF GUANGZHOU
The British School of Guangzhou offers high quality education in an international setting, comparable to the best schools in the UK. The school provides a superb learning environment through the recruitment of highly qualified, technologically literate teachers, who are dedicated to providing our highly motivated students with the very best education. Last year over 50% of our iGCSE and A Level grades were A*-A, an impressive achievement which provides us with a challenging target for the future. Our established choirs are in demand to sing at venues across Guangzhou. Students from Year 1 to Year 6 benefit from instrumental tuition and learn a range of instruments within the curriculum. Students from Year 3 upwards travel widely within China as part of our established residential trips programme. Primay students benefit from our 1-to-1 iPad initiative and our Primary teachers need to be adept at using technology to promote teaching and learning. Our Primary sports teams compete across the Pearl River Delta, within NAE in our regional games and across Asia, when competing against other FOBISIA schools.
The Southlake Campus, a 20-minute drive north of the city centre, enjoys picturesque views over Nanhu Lake and a golf course. All classrooms are attractively furnished, air-conditioned and equipped with WiFi and an interactive whiteboard. The school has impressive resources and facilities include music rooms, a well-equipped fitness room, guided reading rooms, IT zones, a dance studio, libraries, theatre and several coffee shops for staff and parents. Outdoor facilities include age-specific football pitches, a swimming pool, basketball courts and an adventure playground. In August 2018, we opened a purpose-built Year 1 building to cope with unprecedented demand for places. In August 2020, we will open an additional Primary and EYFS school, for up to 800 students, which will allow us to refurbish much of our current site to meet the growing number of Secondary Students. To find out more about our school you are encouraged to visit our website at www.bsg.org.cn
NORD ANGLIA EDUCATION
Nord Anglia Education is a global family of 56 international schools, providing outstanding education to over 51,000 students in China, Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Americas. The successful candidate will benefit from the career and development opportunities from being part of the world’s leading premium school’s organisation. Nord Anglia University unites our team through a vibrant online forum, which harnesses the collective expertise of their peers in an exchange of knowledge, ideas and best practice. Extensive online and face-to-face CPD is provided through Nord Anglia University to ensure that our team don’t just maintain their skills and expertise, they develop at the cutting edge of educational thinking. There has never been a better time to join the Nord Anglia Education group; to find out more visit www.nordangliaeducation.com
The successful candidate will enjoy a competitive management salary and benefits commensurate with the status of this position, spacious accommodation, an annual flight allowance, a relocation allowance, international healthcare, an end of contract gratuity bonus and free school places for up to two children. It is important to note that all children will be subject to the school’s admissions process and will need to meet our entry requirements. We expect applicants to fully disclose any SEN needs or results of educational assessments for consideration, as part of the interview process. You will also have the opportunity to live in and work in one of China’s most vibrant and dynamic cities, Guangzhou (formerly Canton) is a city of over 14 million residents and is an historically important city and the gateway to the Pearl River Delta, potentially the most important economic zone in China.
The cost of living in Guangzhou remains comparatively low and, as a result, the majority of our expatriate staff save over 50% of their salary and still travel to exotic destinations throughout Asia. We want teachers to feel valued and well rewarded for their efforts. However, if your motivation in applying for a position is simply financial then this is not the school for you. If, however, you are motivated by a desire to make a difference to the lives of our students then we look forward to receiving your application and discussing this in detail during your interview.
Applications should be made online, and should contain an application letter and full CV (including photograph, phone number, Skype address and e-mail contact details of 3 referees – one of whom is your current Head Teacher/Principal).
The closing date for application is 30th November 2018
Initial interviews are to be conducted by Skype and a final interview for shortlisted candidates on a date to be confirmed. Any shortlisted candidates will also be encouraged to attend the Nord Anglia recruitment event in London w/b 21st January 2019 to gain an insight into Nord Anglia Education.
Nord Anglia Education use an online recruitment system to track applications and help us to make a fair and balanced assessment of your suitability against other candidates.
To register your details go to www.jobtrain.co.uk/nordanglia and follow the online instructions to record your interest for specific jobs within Guangzhou.
The recruitment of high quality candidates is critical to the development of our school and a number of people will be involved in reviewing your application. We also understand how difficult it is to be left waiting and will do our utmost to review all applications by the closing date for the vacancy. Soon after the closing date we guarantee that we will contact all applicants to give them an update with regards their application. Courtesy is very important to our school, and we go to great lengths to update all applicants on the situation with regards their application.
At Nord Anglia Education, we are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All applicants (having regular unsupervised contact with children) are subject to appropriate national and international vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both Country of residence/birth and any Country of residence during the last 10 years.