ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Executive Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1400
Deputy Head of Religious Education
TLR 2b £4,530
Required for September 2019
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Deputy Head of RE to contribute to the leadership of our flourishing RE department. The successful candidate will work with the Head of Department, and the other Deputy Head of Department, to build on the existing strengths of the department, to ensure that achievement, teaching, the curriculum and leadership and management, all remain first-class, at each key stage. As a member of the leadership team of the RE department, the successful candidate will require the necessary skills and experience, or in the case of newer teachers, the potential to develop these, to provide leadership, motivation and training for teachers in the department. Training and unstinting support will be given to the successful candidate. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone wishing to join an outstanding department and a highly successful, positive and forward thinking school.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building, which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have around 1,100 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, RE is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:-
- 83% of all pupils achieved at least a Grade 4 in the new 2018 GCSE course
- 73% achieved at least a Grade 5 and 39% achieved a Grade 7 or higher, including 33 pupils who attained a Grade 9.
- 83% of A Level pupils achieved at least a C in 2018 and 58% achieved Grades A*-B
- 100% A Level pass rate over the last 3 years along with 55% A*-B Grades
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a leader with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The drive and creativity to lead others to promote a love of Religious Education in our students
Application packs are available to download here, from our school website, or by e-mailing the Headteacher’s PA, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you require any further information about the post, please do not hesitate to contact Emma Patterson, Head of School or Suzanne Fisher, Senior Assistant Headteacher on 0191 215 3260.
Closing date: 9.00am Tuesday 26th February 2019
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.