About Ras Al Khaimah Academy
RAK Academy is an independent, co-educational international school, situated in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK), a northern emirate, about 1 hour from Dubai. Founded in 1975, it was the first in the region and is considered as one of the most important schools in the Emirate. Along with the Secondary School there are two Primary schools, a British Curriculum Primary and a PYP Primary . There are over 3600 students across the academy , with 950 in Secondary. We are fully accredited with the International Baccalaureate (IB), Council of International Schools (CIS), British Schools Overseas. (BSO) and British Schools of the Middle East (BSME)
We are a comprehensive entry school with students from over 60 countries and a host-national population of about 60%. The Secondary school offers a UK style middle school curriculum culminating in the IGCSE. The post 16 programme provides both the AS, Levels and IB Diploma.
Ras Al Khaimah is located within an easy drive of Dubai but is a quieter, less expensive place to live. It is well suited for families and the more adventurous alike, with a wealth of outdoor and leisure activities, the landscape and the coast to avail of. Ras Al Khaimah is a wonderful and liberal part of UAE with an amazing cultural and geographical past. RAK is referred to as the “Pearl of the Emirates”.
Many of our staff have their children in school and there is a strong sense of community here.
- Promoting the school mission statement and the aims and objectives of the Secondary Section
- Assisting with the daily administration and operations in the Secondary School
- Lead the review cycle of the Secondary Curriculum in co-operation with Heads of Department
- Supporting teachers in the Secondary School in their daily teaching duties
- Planning Secondary School continuous improvement in collaboration with the Head of Secondary
- Supporting staff performance development in conjunction with the Head of Secondary
- Organizing Secondary School functions as directed by the Head of Secondary
- Deputizing for the Head of Secondary in his/her absence.
- Coordinating the ordering of resources with all staff to support the curriculum
- Assisting in updating and maintaining resources in the Secondary school and school library in cooperation with the librarian
- Being an effective member of the Secondary Senior Leadership Team and Academy wide Student Support Committee
- In conjunction with the Head of Secondary, Deputy Head-Pastoral and Student Support Coordinator, develop and oversee the admissions procedure
- Ensuring RAKA community understand school and student requirement for successful learning outcomes
- Oversee the secondary school timetabling process
- Leading the Heads of Department in the development of curriculum handbooks and quality information for parents.
- Quality assurance at all levels throughout the teaching and learning process
- To undertake tasks associated with the daily running of the Secondary School
- To promote the professional autonomy of all staff, in order that they may carry out their duties and responsibilities effectively
- To support effective learning for all Secondary students
- To assist Heads of Department in the implementation of Secondary curriculum programmes
- To assess teacher effectiveness through the school’s performance management process
- To ensure that teachers are given the opportunity to utilise their teaching strengths within the Secondary School (and where possible, the whole school).
- To ensure that teachers within the Secondary School have their individual training needs identified and supported.
- To organize parent conferences, assemblies, open days, etc. as required by the Head of Secondary
- To be available for supervision and on-call duty during class time as of all senior leadership staff
- To liaise and communicate effectively with parents about school requirements in order to support teachers and students
- To collaborate with the Head of Secondary in the creation and implementation of a structured strategic plan for the Secondary school
- To be responsible for creating an effective academic calendar for assessment and reporting to maximize learning time
- To liaise closely with Deputy Head-Pastoral and the Student Support Coordinator to ensure all students have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
Key attributes, qualifications and experience:
The successful candidate will have and demonstrate
- At least 8 years teaching experience
- Relevant experience in leadership, either as a Head of Department or in another Senior Leadership position
- Postgraduate training and qualification in leadership/management
- Experience of curriculum development and staff performance development
- A strong sense of values coupled with a strong understanding of the school’s mission, vision and aims
- A high level of organization, energy and drive to achieve the best outcomes for students
- A high level of openness and honesty in working with colleagues
- A strong sense of teamwork
- An appreciation for the academic and personal issues facing children with language backgrounds other than English
- The ability to think quickly, respond to situations and be consistent in decision-making.
- An attractive employment package that includes tax free salary, free accommodation, free utilities and medical insurance, end of service gratuity and annual return flights to the home country
- A supportive teaching environment with a commitment to Professional Development
- The opportunity to live and work in a wonderful and liberal part of UAE with an amazing cultural and geographical past
The Recruitment Process:
Candidates interested in applying must provide the following:
- A detailed CV.
- Letter of application, stating why they are the best candidate for the role, addressing the criteria and responsibilities outlined above.
- Contact details for three referees, who must be direct line managers/supervisors. At least one must be from the candidate’s current school.
This is an exciting opportunity to become part of an Academy that is a leader of learning in a growing and developing part of the UAE. The initial contract is for 2 years but a longer period of commitment is envisioned.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 15th March, 2018.
Candidates will be shortlisted for telephone/video call interviews, with final face-to-face interviews to be held in the UAE.
Please contact the PA to the Head of Secondary with any queries that you may have regarding the positions advertised and to submit your application documents: firstname.lastname@example.org