This is a unique opportunity to join Prem at a time of reorganization, re-envisioning and refurbishment of the Boarding Programme. The Boarding Director, together with Heads of House will develop the unique character, attributes, flavor and future traditions of the House System. You will ensure that the Boarding Programme supports a community of learners that are happy, thriving and successful, and that it offers a raft of activities and events that provide a rich source of enjoyment and character development.
Prem Tinsulanonda International School, known simply as ‘Prem', is a prestigious IB-World School that serves the local and expatriate community of Chiang Mai, and is home to 150 globally diverse boarders. Prem is the largest Boarding School in Thailand. We are also proud to be the first four-programme IB School in Thailand (PYP, MYP, DP and CP), and offer an outstanding holistic education on a campus of great natural beauty. All students at Prem, from Early Years through Grade 12, learn and thrive in multi-faceted ways, and during their educational journey they will enjoy: The 7.61 acre Farm, our new Forest School, the Olympic-sized swimming pool, the golf driving range, archery range, the tennis academy, football and cricket pitches, fitness gym and gymnasium, The cookery school, leadership courses, and service learning all within Prem’s landscaped waterways in beautiful, rural Chiang Mai.
Boarding at Prem begins in Grade 3, and students from Grade 3 through to Grade 7 will be housed in separate accommodation. There are three Boarding Clusters for Senior School Girls, Senior School Boys and then the Junior School mixed cluster. Academic Year 2020-21 will see four Heads of House, four Deputy Heads of House, two Junior School Boarding Heads, and eight Boarding Assistants, all of whom will report to the Director of Boarding.
Roles and Responsibilities
- To ensure that Health and Safety is the absolute priority of Boarding Staff at all times
- To lead a team of House Parents, Deputy House Parents and Boarding Assistants in the establishment of exemplary routines and protocols around safety and communication.
- To establish a Boarding climate of trust, support, honesty, friendship and collaboration.
- To ensure that student reports are personalized and informative for parents, and include students’ assessment of their own progress.
- To establish an environment where wellbeing and a healthy lifestyle are thoroughly emphasized.
- To ensure that there is a varied, exciting, challenging and team-building Boarding programme of activities and events.
- To work collaboratively with Heads of House / House Parents and Deputy Heads of House to establish a robust and life-enhancing House System, ensuring the delivery of eight diverse House Competitions per year.
- Liaise with the Heads of House to plan, disseminate and monitor the reward system.
Assist with the Marketing and Promotion of Prem Boarding
- To work collaboratively with the Director of Admissions and Head of Marketing to work for the expansion of the Boarding Programme.
- To represent and promote Prem Boarding at lnternational Education Fairs as well as local events in Chiang Mai and Bangkok.
- To be an enthusiastic advocate for Prem Boarding and the four IB Programmes on the website, on social media and print materials.
- To show prospective students and families around the Boarding Houses, being an advocate for Prem and IB Mission and Vision.
Additionally, the Director of Boarding will:
- Embody the Prem, IB and Round Square Mission, Vision and Values and serve a role-model for intercultural understanding and inclusivity, demonstrating compassionate care towards others at all times.
- Be the central point of liaison with the Student Support Team, advocating for students to ensure necessary attention, support or recognition.
- Ensure that the nursing staff and all Boarding Staff have the meeting time necessary and systems in place to ensure the health and wellbeing of all Prem students.
- Be an outstanding teacher in their subject area. This position carries up to 50% release time.
- Honours Degree and post-graduate certificate or diploma of education.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience of Boarding, preferably in an International setting.
- Proven track-record of leading a team towards successful outcomes.
- A student-centered approach that puts a premium on the wellbeing of every child, each and every day.
- An academic professional who expects the highest standards of themselves, their colleagues and each child in their care.
- An authentic commitment to holistic education.
Additional advantageous qualifications, experience and personal qualities:
- Action-oriented with a commitment to excellence across all personal and professional endeavours.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills: approachable, a good listener, an effective communicator able to undertake empathetic conversations with a wide range of constituents.
- A problem-solver with a customer-oriented mind-set.
- An ability and enthusiasm for working with young people.
- Integrity, empathy and sensitive honesty.
- Ability to speak additional languages; Mandarin or Thai would be a particular advantage.
- Experience of working with EAL students.
- Competitive salary
- Return air fare at beginning and end of contract.
- Tuition fees included for children of teaching staff.
- Accommodation on site close to all school amenities.
- Living in beautiful rural Chiang Mai, Thailand.