The Director of Lerning – Physical Education is responsible for the day- to-day leadership and management of the PE Department. In this role he or she will be assisted by the Principal of The British Schools, and work in conjunction with The Head of Junior, The Director(a) of the Liceo and The Director of International Programmes. The Director of Learning – PE is expected to take a leadership role in all aspects of life at TBS to ensure that it continues to provide an excellent education to its students; that it is well-managed, and that it maintains its excellent reputation within the community.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
The Director of Learning - PE reports to the Principal and is accountable for ensuring that the Mission and Strategic Focus of the school are fulfilled in the PE Department. He or she will achieve this through the leadership and management of the department in accordance with the policies and directions set by the Board of Governors. The Director of Learning-PE may and will delegate responsibility to other members of the school staff, Rugby and Hockey Coordinators, as he or she deems appropriate.
Professional Qualifications & Qualities
The Board of Governors is proud of the school’s achievements so far and seeks to appoint a well-qualified, dynamic and forward-looking leader who will build on the existing strengths of the Physical Education and Sports activities and lead them into the next phase of its development.
Desirable qualities and attributes of the successful candidate include:
- A degree in physical education or similar.
- Post-graduate in education.
- Prior leadership experience preferred.
- Proven leadership and administration skills gained in an educational environment.
- Ability to develop a clear vision for the future development of the school, motivating, inspiring and challenging both staff and students, together with the knowledge and skills to implement such a vision.
- Evidence of having taken part in a school development process.
- Experience of IGCSE and the IB diploma programme.
- Strong team leadership and exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to enhance the collaboration and partnership between Senior Leadership Team, staff, parents and the wider community.
- A good working knowledge of English, fluent Spanish speaker.
- Sensitivity to working and living in a South American culture and to the needs and aspirations of students and fellow professionals.
- The ability to set standards of academic excellence and to drive the PE Programmes towards these standards and to maintain them.