St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
Sport plays a very important part in our life at St Mary's. With the ever-increasing demand and pressure on teenage girls, we strongly believe in the benefits of both individual and team sports and all girls are encouraged to participate whatever their ability. Learning to work and play as a team teaches trust, increases resilience and builds confidence and self-esteem; all valuable qualities which can be transferred to everyday life.
Following a recent review, we are delighted to accept applications for the position of Director of PE.
The Director of PE will have responsibility for the day-to-day management of the PE department and its staff and for inspiring the strategic development of the department. They will demonstrate a clear vision for girls’ sport and PE and will encourage both pupils and staff to achieve high standards of participation and excellence.
The post holder will form part of the newly formed “Leadership for Sport Team” that will see them working closely with not only colleagues at St Mary’s but with peers from the wider organisation that encompasses St Margaret’s Prep and the St Mary’s Sports Club. The Director of PE will lead by example, by teaching and coaching a broad range of sports and will draw on best practice to ensure that both the curriculum and co-curriculum PE is cutting edge and in line with the aims and ethos of the whole school strategic thinking. They will be passionate leader who is dedicated to girls’ sport and the unique opportunities and benefits that an all-girls’ environment can offer.
Specific duties will include developing department initiatives within the school and wider community, ensuring the delivery of a well prepared competition schedule, teaching a broad range of sports across the school and departmental budget management.
The successful candidate will be a passionate advocate for girls’ sport with excellent leadership and communication skills. They will be experienced in managing a team, possess the ability to interact confidently with pupils, parents and other staff and be willing to participate in the full boarding life of the school.
What we want from you
• A strong academic background and a good honours degree in a sport related subject or equivalent training and experience.
• Leadership and management qualification (desirable).
• A coaching and/or umpiring qualification in Lacrosse or one of the main sports of the school (desirable).
• Committed to promoting PE and sport across the whole school.
• To be a positive and professional role model to the girls.
• An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
• Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
• An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
• Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school.
• Highly motivated pupils with lessons taught in small groups.
• Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme.
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Club.
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters. educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School.
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time.
• Free on-site parking.
How to Apply
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: 9am, Thursday 6th January 2022
St Mary’s Calne is an independent boarding and day school for girls aged 11-18, a happy, purposeful and flourishing community of around 360 pupils with a 80% to 20% boarding to day ratio.
Founded in 1873, the school has been providing an outsta...