Director of Sport (Boys & Girls)
Duties and responsibilities
• To work with the Head, SLT and Physical Education department to foster a culture of improvement, creative engagement and personal development.
• To represent the School variously and to communicate its vision and values to a range of audiences.
• To be the main point of contact on all sporting matters for pupils, staff, parents, governors, feeder schools and prospective parents and their children.
• To liaise with Tutors in the development of pupils, including sports award holders.
• To carry out staff development reviews and appraisals for direct reports.
• To be responsible for encouraging and enthusing sports coaches to ensure that their coaching is effective, imaginative and consistent. This is to include oversight of sport staff training.
• To ensure the provision of appropriate programmes to engage and enthuse all pupils, whilst also enabling the accelerated and structured development of those aspiring to excellence;
• To help ensure the smooth running of the Sports Centre;
• To develop policy, option structure and standards for all sports;
• To introduce a sports development programme for each sport that sets and improves standards within the sports and provides a mechanism for quality control;
• Having regard to the overall educational aims of PHC, to set and monitor the quality and frequency of fixtures and national competition entries;
• To ensure that match day organisation and any hospitality is of the highest standard;
• To work with, amongst others, the School Office and Marketing Officer to ensure that the sports pages on the website are current and correct;
• Oversee development and maintenance of the faculty web pages and promote sport through social media in line with the School’s social media guidelines;
• To liaise with the Facilities & Estates Manager and Bursar on the maintenance and development of the grounds and facilities;
• To have oversight of, and assist in, sports tours and pre-season programmes;
• To promote sporting opportunities with the Marketing Department.
• Teach Physical Education and Games, including academic PE;
• Manage, officiate and coach sports teams, midweek and on Saturdays;
• Carry out the role of form tutor.
• You will be required to carry out the general professional duties of a school teacher under the reasonable direction of the Head and to perform such particular duties that from time to time which may reasonably be assigned him/her by the Head.
• Ensure that lessons are planned in appropriate detail and are prepared and delivered in accordance with the departmental scheme of work and regulatory standards;
• Teach, according to pupils’ educational needs;
• Assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of pupils in order to ensure pupils fulfil their potential;
• In each case, take regard of PHC’s curriculum and policies reinforcing the need for high expectations which inspire, motivate and challenging pupils;
• Use ICT as an effective tool to aid teaching and other classroom resources as appropriate;
• Assist with PSHE & study skills sessions, revision sessions, and other initiatives where appropriate;
• Attend Parents’ Evenings;
Please see the attached job description and personal specification for more information.