Exciting opportunity to teach in Beijing
Required in August/September 2018: to join this expanding, well-funded, dynamic Independent School set up in 2012 to bring to Beijing the best of English educational values and skills.
Salary package: Attractive and highly competitive salary package; free furnished accommodation; free Mandarin tuition; health insurance; substantial financial assistance with flights ; guidance regarding visa applications.
Prestige Education Centre (PEC) uses a curriculum based on the Independent English Schools system. Located at the heart of Beijing’s villa community, at the weekends PEC offers small, full-day classes to children aged 4-12 and, during the week, private classes for different age groups. Children learn about the world around them in personal classes. A well-rounded education is provided, which includes Maths, English, Geography, Science, History, Social Studies, Music, Art, Drama and Design, as well as specific topic-based activities for younger learners. The Advisory Headmaster and the majority of teachers are from the UK, with the remainder hailing from the US, Ireland and Australia. The school has a mix of students from local and international schools to ensure a culturally-rich community that comes together in a fully English environment. PEC caters for students who plan to study abroad in the future, enter an international school, or generally enrich their learning experiences. During the weekdays after-school and subject-specific classes (such as I/GCSEor SAT classes) are available for students of any age. All teaching staff work on Saturdays and Sundays. In lieu of this commitment, all teaching staff have two weekdays off each week.
The role of Director of Studies
The Director of Studies is responsible for monitoring the quality of teaching, as well as the assessment and reporting aspect of the school. He/she is also responsible for putting the timetable together and advising the Principal on staffing requirements. As a member of the SMT, the successful candidate will be involved in the strategic planning of the school and also supporting the Principal at various school functions.
An outline of the responsibilities of the Director of Studies
Academic: standards, delivery and monitoring of the curriculum:
- Responsibility for academic standards, delivery of the curriculum, and the implementation of necessary policies
Timetable and staffing:
- Planning and organising the school timetable
- Advising the Principal about the school’s staffing requirements
Teaching staff performance and development:
- Monitoring and supporting teaching staff performance in the classroom
- Monitoring the induction of all new members of teaching staff
- Assisting the process of staff performance appraisal
- Organisation of academic staff INSET
- Regular lesson observations
- Overseeing and monitoring lesson observations, work sampling, scrutiny and book checks .
The skills and qualifications of the successful candidate:
- Graduate with a teaching qualification with at least four years experience
- An experienced and able classroom practitioner
- Show commitment in other areas e.g. games, drama
- Good communication skills
- Strong organisational skills
Personal Characteristics we seek:
- Capacity to think strategically
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to lead from the front and by example
- Ability to prioritise effectively and balance competing pressures
- Ability to see a task through to completion
- Ability to delegate
- Ability to work under pressure of deadlines
- Have a good sense of humour
Prestige Educational Centre offers
- a rich, vibrant and exciting learning environment which effectively adapts the English curriculum
- an ethos where each individual child is valued as an individual.
- a high level of support and commitment from our friendly, hard working staff
- up to 35% PPA release time
- a commitment to professional development
- 2 full days off per week; 8 weeks holiday per year
- the opportunity to live and work in Beijing, one of the world’s most exciting and vibrant cities
For more information please e-mail email@example.com or visit our website at www.pedcentre.com
Candidates for these posts should e-mail a letter of application, full CV and names and contact details of two referees.
UK applicants will be interviewed face-to-face in Shoreham-by-Sea or London, applicants working overseas already will be interviewed by skype.
PRESTIGE EDUCATION CENTRE, BEIJING