Abbey College Cambridge is one of the best college for international students in the UK. We specialise in helping students from across the world achieve the personal, social and academic growth needed to succeed at the UK’s best universities.
We are currently looking for enthusiastic Director of Studies for Medicine & Teacher to join our team from 1st September 2020.
As Director of Studies for Medicine you will have special responsibility for leading UCAS application processes within the school. You will also teach in your subject area.
Advising our international students and their parents about progression through A level and International Foundation Programme (IFP), the Director of Studies primarily focuses on university, higher and further education course choices and career options.
Reporting directly to SLT, the Director of Studies leads and organises interactive workshops with students on systems such as UCAS and post-results procedures as well as advising and guiding students on work experience, personal statement writing, admissions tests and interview preparation.
This is a permanent, full time position; working hours are 9 am-5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
Director of Studies for Medicine
• To manage the process of providing specialist advice, counsel and expertise to all students who are applying to Universities from A Levels and the International Foundation Programme (IFP)
• To liaise with personal tutors, housemasters/mistresses, subject specialists and oversee administrative tasks related to students’ university applications
• To develop close working relationships with key HEI providers locally and globally
• To liaise with HEIs and run the university fairs exclusively for Abbey College Cambridge students
• To provide a continuous stream of data to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) to allow it to make informed decisions
• To act as a focal point for UCAS, directing tutors and housemasters/mistresses in support of their students’ university applications
• To develop strategically UCAS support within the school
• To have an overview of the structure of the IFP and a strong understanding of how to best support IFP students in their university applications.
• To contribute to the strategic future development of academic provision at Abbey College Cambridge to further enhance support for students in securing places at Oxbridge, G5 and Russell Group universities. This will be in conjunction with the Housemasters/Housemistresses, Heads of Department and tutors.
• Delivering high quality lessons.
• Facilitating the college’s goal of high student academic achievement.
• Informing parents about student progress.
• Engaging in the college’s pastoral care for all students in the college.
• Engaging in appraisals and reviews, and taking part in training and development.
Qualifications and Experience
Teaching international students at GCSE and A-level should be a passion for you and to be considered for this position you must hold a degree-level qualification and QTS status. You also required experience of secondary/Sixth Form education and university application guidance, including Oxbridge and Medicine, experience of teaching international students and enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service clearance and proof of right to work in the UK. Knowledge of the appropriate curricula would also be beneficial.
• 50 days annual leave
• Employee assistance programme
• Sports groups and free on site gym facilities
• Alpha Plus Group personal pension plan
• Season ticket train travel discount and loans
• Cycle to work scheme
• Discounted school fees
• Language classes
• Regular social events
• Discounted beauty treatments
Alpha Plus Group (APG)
Abbey College Cambridge is a constituent college of the Abbey DLD Group of Colleges, which is in turn part of the Alpha Plus Group.
APG is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as an employee of APG you will be expected to share this commitment. The protection of our students’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
How to Apply
Please visit our recruitment website to apply and access full details about the position. Please enclose your CV and a detailed covering letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills to be successful in this position.