Director of Teacher Training Institute – GEMS Africa –based in Kenya
When you become an employee with GEMS Africa you join an international education company with a global network of International schools and over fifty years of education experience. GEMS Education is the leading Kindergarten to Grade 12 operator in the world educating over 110,000 children from 151 different nationalities. Teachers at GEMS schools access our world famous global teacher network helping to ensure the recruitment and retention of our best staff and the best possible academic outcomes for our students.
To find out more about GEMS Education visit: www.gemseducation.com
The Teacher Training Institute
This is a new start up project to open a teacher training institute for our African schools from Premium to Affordable schools and across different curriculums. We would in the future build on the success to go out to wider communities and Government agencies to become self-sustaining and profitable.
In the initial early stages of development the Institute will be housed at the campus of the GEMS Cambridge International School, Nairobi. The Director of Training has overall responsibility for the structure and quality of training in line with GEMS policies, to support aspirant teachers to fully achieve their potential to become outstanding teachers.
Under the direction of the Board of Africa duties and responsibilities include the ability to, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop and deliver teacher trainer programmes for the training of Teachers from all aspects both National and International qualifications.
- The leadership and Management of the GEMS Training Institute Africa both strategically and operationally and establish a GEMS as a leading Education presence in Africa
- Lead the development and implementation of new initiatives and strategic development of course content to support any / all key business priorities of GEMS Africa
- Define and ensure use of standard methodologies and processes
- Develop and implement long term goals, best practices and innovative, creative learning strategies to drive continuous improvement and effectiveness of programs to ensure overall growth and successful outcomes
- Oversee and manage departmental budget to support operations within the Teacher Training Institute and operate in profit
- Establish working partnerships with Award bearing and Accrditing Institutions pan African and Internationally.
- Monitor, assess and identify current and future teacher training and development needs; prioritize training efforts and effectively allocate resources
- Direct the development of education policy reports, manage the core professional learning and curriculum/training materials and other advocacy tools demand, delivery capacity and implementation across the organization
- Consult with the GEMS Education Staff to develop, create and implement diversified funding proposal strategies to ensure continuous programmatic offerings and game-changing business results
- Lead and develop the GEMS Education Department towards innovative training and successful training solutions through long term goals to ensure overall success
- Increase the capacity of the GEMS units to promote GEMS’s education advocacy agenda at the state and local level, as well as college campuses
- Build and maintain relationships with key leaders, government officials and community organizations in an effort to advance the GEMS’s education agenda
- Supervise staff and contractors within the Teacher Training Department; provide leadership, executing a high degree of recommended resolutions and/or escalations
- Represent GEMS Education / Africa at external meetings, conferences and conventions
- Manage the growth, program effectiveness: delivery satisfaction, transfer of knowledge and success back of the GEMS Education.
Skills, Experience & Qualifications required:
The ideal candidate for this position will possess many, if not all, of the following professional qualifications, competencies and personal qualities:
- Graduates degree in education and MBA is preferred;
- 10+ year’s professional experience and business expertise working on respective educational issues within the non-profit, academic or governmental sectors
- A positive and resilient attitude to changing demands of the Training Institute with a good sense of humour
- Excellent analytical and writing skills to produce accurate, positive reports, policies, guidance notes and letters
- Thorough and working knowledge of delivering high quality courses in teacher training
- Proven sound leadership skills and ability to manage staff and budgets
- Ability to manage multiple large scale projects; demonstrate thoughtful judgment in strategic planning and management of initiatives and efficient, effective coordination/collaboration
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving and communications skills.
- Ability to travel upon request
- If you meet these criteria and are enthusiastic about teacher training and learning and have the drive and passion to get the most from our exciting progress in education in Africa then we would very much welcome your application.
- Please email your CV, recent photo, letter of application with your vision and practical strategies to email@example.com by Friday 28th April 2017. Interviews to be held shortly after. Please put the vacancy in the subject line on the email please.