Hazelwood is a flourishing non-selective, independent co-educational Prep School for boys and girls between the ages of 4 and 13 years of age with a linked Nursery and Early Years site catering for children from 3 months to 4 years. The school is fast approaching 600 strong across both sites. Its pupils enjoy some amazing facilities including the Baily Building (opened in September 2016) and our brand new agile learning space, The Box. The Prep School is set within 25 acres of countryside with far reaching views towards the Ashdown Forest and the South Downs beyond. The nearest town, Oxted, is less than one mile away and has excellent mainline rail links into London. The M25 and Gatwick Airport are also easily accessible. Further details about the school can be found on the www.hazelwoodschool.co.uk
Hazelwood is proud to be a school where we work fearlessly and tirelessly to provide the best education platform for our pupils to bounce from. A school where we actively seek external inspiration for our pupils, an outward looking school with an awareness and active involvement in the world, a school of forward thinking educators who have an unshakable belief in the potential of every child. A school of balance.
We are excited to be recruiting for a newly structured Senior Management Team, from September 2019, who will be working closely alongside one another and the Head, promoting and providing the highest quality of education for our pupils. As an inspiring practitioner, with a keen interest in the all-round development of young people, you will be happy to be part of a team, but willing to take the lead as necessary; championing the vision of the school.
Please do come and visit us to see what we are all about!
Appointment of Director of Teaching and Learning
The successful candidate will be passionate about developing and driving a curriculum within which every child has the opportunity to thrive academically. They will be a collaborative, ambitious and dynamic teacher and leader, able to inspire a community of children and staff to achieve outstanding teaching and learning. Their discretion and integrity will be crucial and they will be committed to maintaining the ethos of Hazelwood for the staff and children.
They will have strong experience of the Prep-School age group, ideally to include EYFS. They will maintain very high standards and expectations in teaching up to 13+ Common Entrance or equivalent level.
In addition to their management roles, SMT members, are expected to play a full part in the life of the school by being involved with sport or other activities, and supporting school events such as concerts, plays and fixtures. Currently no specific subject specialism is required. It is likely that a reduced teaching timetable will be available.
This vacancy might suit candidates who already have experience of such a post, or individuals seeking a first management role. Salary will be according to experience and the successful candidates will be placed on the Hazelwood School Leadership Salary Scale. The usual Teachers’ Pension is currently in operation.
The Director of Teaching and Learning reports directly to the Head and will be responsible for:
• Leading, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the academic vision of the whole school
• Feeding back on the above, and any other required elements, to the governors through the Education Committee
• Designing the implementation and development of strategies to improve the academic performance of the school, both in public examinations, and in preparation of pupils for senior school
• Supporting colleagues in maintaining a purposeful learning environment in the classroom
• Monitoring and evaluating pupil achievement and attainment throughout the school
• Monitoring the quality of teaching and learning in line with school policy. This will include lesson observations, monitoring of short and medium term planning and scrutiny of pupils work
• Reviewing long term planning to ensure coverage, progression and a range of learning experiences throughout the school
• Setting appropriate expectations for staff and pupils in relation to standards of pupil’s achievements and the quality of teaching, establishing clear targets for improving and sustaining pupils’ achievement
• Feeding back to the Head and where applicable, other senior managers on the effectiveness of provision for pupils throughout the school
• Organising and implementing excellent communications with parents regarding pupil progress, assessment results and adequate explanation of provision
• Leading by example as a teacher and as a manager, achieving high standards of pupil attainment, behaviour and motivation through effective teaching
• Supporting Heads of Department in the development and implementation of curricular initiatives
• Ensuring that a high calibre cover is left for colleagues to deliver
• Overseeing provision to meet the academic needs of all pupils
• Updating and distributing the Staff and Parent Handbooks
• Overseeing effective reporting to parents
• Building a strong Head Of Department team
• Working closely with Head of Senior School Transition
• Keeping relevant policies up to date and compliant
• Preparing the school for the academic elements of Inspection
As a key member of the School Management Team, the Director of Teaching and Learning is expected to be fully conversant with all school policies and to play his/her part in promoting good conduct among pupils, both within departments and throughout the School.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Support the School Promise to uphold the ethos and expectations of the school community
• Treat all members of the school community with respect and consideration
• Treat all pupils fairly, consistently and without prejudice
• Set a good example to the pupils in terms of appropriate dress, punctuality and attendance
• Participate fully in the school’s extracurricular programme
• Take responsibility for personal professional development within the school’s CPD programme
• Attend all departmental and staff meetings as required
• Attend Parents’ Evenings
• Contribute fully to the SEF and the 3-year plan
• Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably assigned by the Head