The St Marylebone CE School is seeking to appoint an energetic and dynamic EAL Assistant and Project Worker to cover a period of maternity leave. This role helps EAL students access the curriculum and to support whole school initiatives on community cohesion.
The School is committed to meeting the needs of a diverse school population through inclusive practice. The successful candidate will be innovative, creative and enthusiastic about providing a wealth of exciting opportunities for pupils with additional needs.
The position offers aspiring teachers or those considering a future career in education the opportunity to gain invaluable practical school based experience, training and development in an outstanding school.
A number of our previous EAL Assistants have subsequently completed teacher training programmes through our Teaching School (we are the Lead School in the St Marylebone Teaching School Alliance). After qualifying, many have secured permanent teaching positions with us, often rising quickly to positions of additional responsibility (e.g. Head of Year).
ABOUT THE ROLE
Working closely with the Head of EAL and Community Cohesion, your role will include:
• Supporting students with English as an Additional Language (EAL) in the classroom, on a one to one basis and in tutorials to enable them to access the curriculum fully.
• Supporting or leading on projects which aim to enhance ‘community cohesion’ in the School. These will include:
- ‘International Evening’: a concert for Year 7 to take part in by performing a piece from anywhere around the world.
- A Year 8 cultural event, e.g. ‘Sticky Fingers’: students invite their parents to school for international dinner.
- ‘Refugee Week’: promoting refugee week.
• Running ‘Bilingual Book Club’.
• Teaching once a week the Parent English class.
• Form tutor
ABOUT THE SCHOOL
Founded in 1791, The St Marylebone CE School is an outstanding school for girls with a mixed sixth form, serving students of all faiths or no faith. Rated successively ‘outstanding’ by Ofsted. The St Marylebone Teaching School Alliance offers teacher training programmes
The School is situated in the heart of central London. We are close to excellent transport links (Regent’s Park, Baker Street and Bond Street Tube Stations).
• Maternity cover- as of 6 January 2020
• Salary: £22,002 – 24,927, which equates to £18,515 - £20,976 for working term-time only. This is paid evenly each month over the whole year, including school holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Please fill out an application form. Application forms are available to download from the School’s website: stmarylebone.school/contact/vacancies/
As part of the form you will need to complete a short statement (no more than 2 sides of A4) demonstrating your suitability for the position.
Completed application forms should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: by 9:00am on Thursday 21st November 2019
Start date: 6th January 2020
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children & vulnerable adults and it is our expectation that all staff and volunteers share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS).