Term time only: 37 hours per week.
The principal responsibility of this post is to plan and prepare lessons, monitor and report on pupil progress and manage pupil behaviour. Working collaboratively with teaching staff you will:
• monitor progress of bilingual learners
• advise on specific provision, resources and intervention for students with EAL
• complete action plans and targets linked to Academy improvement plans
• plan with colleagues in order to develop expertise in meeting the language and learning needs of EAL students
• work with target groups; focus support on a specific group of pupils
• provide individual support when specific difficulties and misconceptions arise
• withdraw individuals or groups of pupils for finely-tuned, time-limited support
• advise on the implications of general assessment measures for EAL students and provide a more detailed diagnostic linguistic analysis where required.
The right candidate for the role will have experience of working with young people to support their academic progress and will possess excellent written and communication skills. They will be educated to a minimum requirement of Level 2 qualifications at Grade C or above in English and Mathematics and ideally hold an appropriate TEFL qualification, or be willing to undertake one.
The ideal candidate will have high levels of motivation, energy and commitment with a reflective approach to the role and the ability to work to build positive relationships with students and their parents/carers. The suitable candidate will be able to demonstrate that they can work as both part of a team and contribute to the effective organisation of the school with administrative support.
We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust (TSAT) which is made up of a family of schools working together to improve the life chances of young people. Our mission is to “transform life chances”; at TSAT we believe education has the power to change lives and children only have one chance to get this right.
To ensure all our academies focus on our mission school leaders translated our mission to core values that would be demonstrated and evident in all our Academies:
Child First, Aspire, Challenge, Achieve
If you would like the opportunity to work with a fun, hardworking and welcoming team at The Portsmouth Academy, with the added bonus of the support from The Thinking Schools Academy Trust, and to support engaged pupils who work in a calm and industrious manner, submit your completed application today.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.