Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad, India
Set on a beautiful 100-acre campus south of the historic city of Hyderabad, the Aga Khan Academy is part of a network of Academies which will eventually form a global learning community. Based on the vision of His Highness the Aga Khan, the Academy deliberately recruits young people from a diversity of backgrounds and irrespective of their ability to pay. Our holistic approach enables young people to become ethical leaders empowered to make a positive contribution in a changing world. We look for outstanding educators whose work is characterised by passion and innovation, able to inspire others, excited by the opportunity to make a difference and committed to helping young people find their grand passion in life!
The EAL Specialist will empower students whose English language repertoire lies significantly below that of the grade average. S/he will do this by identifying students in need, and developing and implementing programmes to address those needs, including training of staff.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
• To support students’ development of English language proficiency enabling the students to access the curriculum just as those able in English language can do.
• Assess English competency level and provide matched support eg with an IEP.
• Prepare the student for mainstream learning and in developing the appropriate skills and strategies needed, including setting targets.
• Emphasise oral language development across the curriculum
• Work intensively with individuals or groups on specific aspects of cognitive and language development
• Work closely with the students’ classroom/subject teachers, sharing planning etc.
• Prepare learning resources eg for differentiation to enable mainstreaming
• Monitor and evaluate student progress and contribute to policy development.
• Communicate student progress and liaise between home and academy especially on cross phase transition
• Communicate effectively with parents keeping them both informed of progress and knowledgeable about phase levels and transitioning.
• Maintain records of attainment & activities and write reports.
• Maintain confidentiality and observe data protection guidelines.
• Contribute to staff professional development, enhancing awareness of EAL methods and student needs.
• Liaise with the Learning Support department where appropriate.
• Implement academy policies on screening and selecting students eg. for supplementary teaching.
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 5 years teaching experience.
- A degree related to subject taught.
- Bachelors with Teaching Qualification or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Criminal background check
- Over 27 and below 50 years of age
The Aga Khan Academy, Hyderabad
- Mainstream school with state funding
- All-through School
- Students of mixed gender, age 4 - 18 years