Early Years Teaching Assistant / Nursery Worker
We are looking for Early Years Teaching Assistants / Nursery Workers to join the new Nursery unit for two year olds which will be opening in September 2017. We are looking for an experienced Early Years Teaching Assistant /Nursery Worker who can support the class teacher and be committed to help with planning activities, observing students and writing up reports in order to create targets for each child and use observations to support students individually.
Charles Dickens Primary School and Nursery is a large, over-subscribed primary school in central London catering for boys and girls between 2 and 11. There are approximately 450 pupils including children attending part time in our nursery settings. The school is a designated national teaching school and is a lead school in the Southwark Teaching School Alliance.
The school prides itself on combining a broad arts-based curriculum and academic rigour to ensure that pupils not only achieve excellent results but also develop creative thinking, making and performing. We offer an extended day from 8am to 5.30pm which provides childcare but also supports tailored learning and a busy activities programme.
We serve a multi-cultural and socially diverse community of families who are committed to the school and its ethos. The school has recently expanded in numbers and is undergoing a large building project to enhanced facilities, more classrooms and renovated learning spaces.
Charles Dickens Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. As such, this post is subject to enhanced employment checks.
Your new role
You will be required to work with Early Years children in our nursery for 2 year olds as a Teaching Assistant/Nursery Worker. You will be
- working with key children,
- planning and implementing activities in line with the early years curriculum
- carrying out creative activities with children
- assisting with feeding/ snack times,
- assisting with toileting, toilet training and nappy changing where needed
- reports and observations,
- ensuring health and safety standards are met,
- following policies and procedures and interacting with parents
The ideal candidate
- A childcare qualification—NNEB, BTEC, NVQ Level 3 in Childcare (minimum required level is NVQ level 2).
- At least 6 months experience in Early Years (Nursery/Reception)
- Familiar with the Early Years Framework
- Be able to use resources and devices to fit different learning styles
- Be able to work with students on a one to one and small group basis
- Paediatric first aid (desirable but training given if not)
- is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
What you'll get in return
- Valuable experience
- You will be part of a dedicated team of staff
- Permanent contract – following a probationary period of 1 academic term
- Professional Development
Salary: Hays pay scale - scale point 15 – 20, depending on qualifications and experience. Salary will be pro rata for term time and hours of contract
Hours: (please indicate your preference for contract hours on your applications)
22.5 hour contract: 8am-12.30pm Monday-Friday
35 hour contract: 8am-3.30pm Monday to Friday
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people by following best guidance and practice and expects all staff to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS check is required for the successful applicant. Charles Dickens School is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Applying for the role: Please email completed applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or a give in a hard copy at the school office.
Closing date for applications: Friday 23rd June 2017
Interviews week beginning: Friday 26th June 2017
Job start: September 2017