Teacher: Engineering Teacher with a focus on Computer Science commencing August 2020.
The Qatar Foundation’s Qatar Academy for Science and Technology (QAST) is a new, STEM-focused high school (Grades 8-12; UK Year 9 to 13) and is seeking a highly motivated, creative and skilled Engineering teacher with a background and proven track record for teaching Advanced Placement (AP) and or ALevel Computer Science.
The school is now in its second year and is adding a new grade level each year. QAST is coeducational and designed for students with a strong interest in STEM subjects. Enrollment is selective from applicants living in Qatar. When fully enrolled QAST will have 240 to 260 students.
The school recruits highly engaged, curious and academically advanced STEM students and the program focuses on developing knowledgeable, skilled and innovative learners, thinkers, developers and leaders.
During grades 8, 9 and 10 (UK 9, 10 and 11), students take a comprehensive set of classes that also include an engineering course where coding, computer science and practical application of their skills are used to resolve real world challenges. In the last two years, the school will provide advanced courses in preparation for A-Levels or Advanced Placement courses (AP). As part of the school diploma, students will also take Arabic and other electives. We offer the Duke of Edinburgh program.
At QAST we look for highly engaging, student-centered and collaborative teachers who enjoy creating multidisciplinary and innovative units of study. Additionally, we look for teachers who can deliver a rigorous curriculum in manner that inspires students to achieve at their highest ability while also maintain a sense of curiosity and joy for the subject. QAST is designed to allow teachers to collaborate with other educators, researchers, university scholars and an amazing array of other educational resources. To this end, we look for educators who look beyond the traditional classroom and who are fearless in their effort to secure a profound learning experience for their students.
All UK Applicants will be screened prior to January 18 and may be asked to interview with the QAST team in London from January 20 – 24.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Professional teaching qualification, license and/or certification.
- Minimum 3 years of teaching experience; international education experience preferred.
- Success teaching engineering and computer science programs.
- Knowledge of an internationally recognized Health and Safety framework e.g. COSHE; COSHH; RoSPA etc.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications and Google Classroom, at minimum.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in any relevant discipline.
- Utilizes interesting engineering demonstrations, labs and activities that engage students and challenges their thinking about interactions with computer science.
- Ability to establish positive relationships with people from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and navigate a wide range of cultural norms.
- Exposure to US-based Common Core, international AERO standards preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing STEM programs preferred.
- Enthusiasm, empathy, patience and resilience.
- Dedication and flexibility, including towards working hours and travel.
- To design, develop and deliver QAST’s Engineering program at the introductory and upper level program.
- Liaise effectively with the QAST Director, Principal and Teachers.
- Support, implement and help manage the design and procurement of materials for the QAST engineering program and innovation center.
- Have experience using some of the following curricula and programs: Common Core, AERO, NGSS, Advanced Placement, A-Level (EDEXCEL and or Cambridge exam board experience preferred) and IGCSE.
- Have experience with a wide range of student assessment practices and be able to implement mastery-based rubrics for a range of student’s skills and abilities.
- Have experience with and the ability to conduct a student assessment program such as MAPs, EDEXCEL, Cambridge, etc.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with regional schools, educational and governmental organizations, and community groups in order to strengthen partnerships and grow the curricular and educational support at the QAST School and specifically for the Innovation Center.
- Support and provide guidance to the annual i-STEM conference, leadership conference and activities to support community and service projects, and other events.
- Facilitate partnerships with government and corporate bodies to obtain resources and to build knowledge partnerships.
- Support teacher training for teachers in the QF schools' STEM programs related to innovative science and specifically chemistry programs.
- Communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and participants: students and teachers from within and outside of Qatar; regional directors and school leadership; QF leadership, board of governors and management; corporate and other institutional partners.
- Exercise responsibility for Health and Safety in the Innovation Center in collaboration with Qatar Foundation HSSE.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are required to provide their CV to the Director & Principal. Upon review, we will acknowledge your CV and if your candidacy is moved forward we will require the following forms:
- QF Safer Recruitment form
- Position Specific Questions
- Reference Contacts including contact details of your current or most recent supervisor.
Dr. Gregory J. Moncada
Director-Qatar Academy for Science and Technology, (QAST)
and copy to:
Mr. Sam Abrams
Principal- Qatar Academy for Science and Technology, (QAST)
Open until filled.
Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable. Successful appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Office of Pre-University Education is committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure service as appropriate.