We have a vacancy at ISH Secondary School for a English Subject Area Leader (Head of Department) - 1.0 FTE
The successful candidate will be able to lead and inspire colleagues to deliver high quality learning outcomes for their students in English in the IB MYP and IB DP. We are looking for a successful leader who can develop student-led inquiry in English and enable our students to learn to apply their knowledge and skills to deepen conceptual, disciplinary and interdisciplinary understanding.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A high quality degree in English with a masters level qualification in education
- Excellent leadership skills
- Coaching expertise
- Substantial experience teaching MYP and DP
- Substantial experience in creating new high quality units and assessment tasks
- Act as a pedagogical leader for a Subject Area and ensure IB procedural, organizational and communication requirements are met at all times, in line with the the ISH strategic vision
- Ensure all IB requirements for curriculum planning and delivery for the Subject Area are met, and wherever possible, exceeded
- Ensure that the practices outlined in the ISH Assessment Policy are embedded in unit planning and classroom practice across the Subject Area
- Ensure that the practices outlined in the ISH High Quality Learning Policy are embedded in classroom practice across the Subject Area
- Collaborate closely with the Year Leaders and Deputy Heads Pastoral to support students wellbeing, progress and engagement within the IB Subject Area
- Ensure that high quality experiential and extra-curricular learning is embedded within the subject area
- Ensure that everyone involved in the Subject Area is efficient and professional in their administrative responsibilities
- Lead in full accordance with the ISH Guiding Statements, school policies, protocols and procedures and create a culture which demands others do the same
- Lead a culture of lifelong learning, and commitment to professional development
Please see Role and Responsibilities of a SAL (job description) available as a download below.
We are a forward thinking school and therefore we invest in potential future leaders as well as excellent teachers. We expect from our teachers to be skilled in using digital tools for teaching (example: MacBook Air, Touch Screen boards and iPads). The chosen candidate will be a reflective practitioner and embrace opportunities for Continuous Professional Learning. An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate, and details can be found on the ISH recruitment page.
All applicants must either be EU citizens or have a valid permit to work in The Netherlands. For any further information, please visit the Government website.
Applicants are required to complete an online profile, provide a supporting statement, and upload a CV. Applicants must provide details of three referees, of which one must be their most recent supervisor. If shortlisted, we will contact referees prior to interview. For teachers, we require one from the head of school or deputy head. Once shortlisted, interviews will be conducted by Skype or in person, depending on the nature of the position and the applicant's location.
Deadline for applications is Monday, 9 March 2020. Short listed candidates will be interviewed as soon as possible. Please note that the school reserves the right to interview suitable applicants early and make an appointment prior to the deadline. If you have not heard from us within 4 weeks after the deadline, then please assume that, on this occasion, your application has been unsuccessful.
The International School of the Hague is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all the students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practices which are aligned to the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection. We hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection. All appointments are subject to an interview, identity checks, criminal record checks, and successful references.
To this end, the leadership team is required to conduct an oral reference check by directly contacting the current or previous employer.
Furthermore, those who are appointed at The International School of The Hague are required to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct (in Dutch: VOG). Your appointment with The Rijnlands Lyceum Foundation takes place on condition that you obtain a VOG. Needless to say, Rijnlands will reimburse all costs in relation thereto.
What we offer
Please see our brochure and FAQs regarding our Recruitment Package available under downloads below.
In line with local regulations, all appointments are for a fixed term of one year, with a view to extending to a permanent contract after successful appraisal. In addition, we offer excellent professional development opportunities and a pleasant working environment. As a successful applicant, you will be welcomed by an amicable, sociable and thoroughly international team.
If you are internationally-minded and have the desire to help shape the exciting future of our school, we would love to hear from you.
Please know that in order to work for us, you must be a fully qualified teacher in accordance with the standards required by the Dutch Education Authorities (DUO). Only candidates with full teaching certification and a valid teaching license in their home country, or from the country in which they obtained the teaching degree, will be considered for this role.
Successful candidates require a Master's degree, plus a master's level Postgraduate qualification in Education (to teach all of Secondary). The degree and teaching qualification must be for the subject that you will be teaching, in order to be recognized by DUO.
For applicants from the UK, you will have completed the PGCE and been awarded QTS plus successful completion of the NQT induction year.