English Teacher: Secondary
The successful candidate will have imagination, flexibility and enthusiasm and will form part of a team of seven energetic and highly motivated teachers. The candidate will have a range of teaching experience, likely to include KS3 and KS4. Recent work with second language learners will be important.
Applications would also be welcomed from candidates with experience of KS2, AS / A level English Language, ESL Cambridge English Curriculum as well as IELTS.
The department’s work is crucial to the success of all students, the majority of whom are Arabic speakers utilising English as their main working language. Programmes are flexible and individualised, taking into consideration the needs of students with a wide range of abilities. Class sizes are small, which allows for truly bespoke and differentiated teaching and learning. Providing access to the full range of subjects in the curriculum demands effective teaching in the English department. Members of the department work very closely as a team, holding regular planning and evaluation meetings. They also work closely with the Literacy Coordinator, the Learning Resource Centre Manager, Learning Support and other departments to ensure that literacy needs across the whole school are addressed.
As well as taking core English, students in Years 7 to 11 have literacy and library lessons. Year 11 pupils are entered for a combination of examinations including IGCSE English as a Second Language, First language and English Literature. Post 16 it is possible for students to take CIE International English Language. However, the majority of students take a one-year school-designed course in Year 12, which includes preparation for SAT, IELTS and EMSat examinations, as well as work experience.
• UK qualified teacher status or equivalent
• Experience and qualifications in teaching pupils working in a second language
• Recent experience in a UK curriculum school
• Evidence of a positive and enthusiastic approach to student learning
• Proven record as a team player
• Strong commitment to professional self-development
• Flexibility to deal with both very able pupils and those who experience difficulties in English
• Awareness of current UK educational developments, especially in literacy
• Ability to maintain good relationships with pupils, parents and staff
• Outstanding references Preferred Criteria
• Ability to offer extra-curricular activities
• Experience in planning and developing ESL courses
• Some experience of assisting in drama
• Interest in a pastoral role
Please submit your letter of application along with your CV, details of two referees and the completed RSB Confidential Details form to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 28th January 2018