Contract type – Full time
Contract term – 2 year renewable contract.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated and passionate educator to join and contribute to the success of an over-subscribed and popular international school. We provide the Cambridge Curriculum to both expatriate and local Tanzanian children, giving students of all backgrounds the opportunity to develop life-long knowledge, experience and skills that will equip them to succeed later in life. The successful candidate will supervise all academic activities and affairs of the primary department.
Isamilo International School is the oldest international school in Mwanza and is held in high esteem by the local community. We offer an exceptional and well balanced education to 400+ children from a broad spectrum of cultural backgrounds aged between 2 and 18 years including boarding students from across East Africa. We have a committed team of creative, resourceful and inspiring teachers and teaching assistants. Due to the nature of being a non-profit school, the staff and students alike are used to finding inspired resolutions to overcome the challenges this can bring. The school benefits from a close-knit community where teachers, students, parents and guardians all come together to guarantee a memorable and enjoyable experience.
The campus incorporates a sports field, netball and tennis courts as well as an outdoor 25metre swimming pool. There is a great range of extra-curricular activities offered by our staff. Community Service is a highly valued aspect of our school with staff and students giving their time voluntarily to supporting our Saturday School outreach programme as well as fundraising in order to support other local charities in Mwanza. The academic calendar has three terms. Term 1 generally runs from September 1st to December 8th. Term 2 is from 3rd January to 31st March while Term 3 is from 18th April to 7th July (based on 2016-17 dates).
Mwanza is the second largest city in Tanzania, after Dar es Salaam. There are frequent ferries to neighbouring islands, including Rubondo and Ukerewe. It has a growing population of over 700,000 residents. As well as being in close proximity to the Serengeti, Mwanza is just a short flight away from Dar es Salaam, Mount Kilimanjaro and Zanzibar. Mwanza boasts breath-taking views of Lake Victoria, famous rock formations and local wildlife.
What we are looking for:
- Relevant degree(s) and professional teaching qualification
- Experience within a British Curriculum school setting
- A strong understanding of the British National Curriculum (especially for English as a subject)
- Ability to communicate effectively with children, parents and all staff members
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- An outstanding role model to students, faculty and staff
- A creative and enthusiastic approach to solving problems and teaching language
- A desire to participate in the extra-curricular and pastoral life of school
- Uphold the values of the school in a manner that is respectful to all faiths
- Previous experience living in East Africa and/or a willingness to learn basic Swahili
- A record of success in teaching English in a Secondary setting
- Broad range experience in Education and a willingness to cover areas other than English
- Experience with educational assessment and a vision for improvement for teaching English
- Flights provided at the start and end of contract to your country of origin
- Start-up grant issued
- Furnished, secure accommodation close to school
- Visa and residency
- Medical insurance for the successful candidate and up to two dependants
- Opportunities to join day and residential school trips for boarders and a range of year groups across Africa
- Free school places for up to 2 dependents
- Generous holidays to travel home and/or beyond
- A strong, supportive expatriate community providing a ‘home away from home’
- Professional development and guidance given
- End of contract bonus
If you meet this criteria we would welcome your application. Please contact the school office for an application pack.
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The school is committed to safeguarding students and appointments depend upon relevant CRB/Police checks and references.