The Edinburgh Academy is an academically selective, independent, co-educational day school for pupils aged 5 -18 years with a reputation for being caring and friendly. The Edinburgh Academy aims to be forward-looking and progressive but also greatly values its long held traditions. The School has a strong reputation for individual attention and excellence in its pastoral care and co-curricular provision. The School consists of a Senior School containing approximately 625 pupils and a Junior School containing approximately 396 pupils, and we have a Nursery department of around 100 pupils. The School is a member of HMC.
The School’s Place in Edinburgh
The School was founded in 1824 and has been regarded as a leading educational establishment within the City of Edinburgh and across Scotland ever since. Original Directors included the leading literary names of their age such as Sir Walter Scott. Robert Louis Stevenson and James Clerk Maxwell were also pupils at the School. The Senior School occupies a site in Henderson Row, less than a mile from Princes Street and at the northern limits of the Georgian ‘New Town’, of which it was designed to be a part.
Further details about the School and its resources can be found on the School website - www.edinburghacademy.org.uk
Overall Purpose of the Role
Reporting To: Events & Lettings Manager
Hours: Thursday to Sunday 30 hrs/week -Part Time
Working under the direction of the Events & Lettings Manager you will contribute to the smooth running of the external letting programme by supporting the preparation of and being present during the use of the School premises on occasional weeknights, most weekends and in School holidays, as well as undertaking relevant duties associated with successful operation of the lettings programme.
The Lettings Assistant must work within the EA policies and procedures and in compliance with all relevant Acts and Legislation. The post is part-time for a 30 hour week working predominantly Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as, during the School holidays
The Edinburgh Academy presents a varied programme of commercial activity when the School is not in session, particularly during the summer months when it is the location for international summer schools and is a venue for the Edinburgh Festival Fringe. The facilities are increasingly popular as a wedding and concert venue.
- To support the Events & Lettings Manager to prepare for events using recognised processes that will include; communication with all stakeholders, ensuring events are booked on the school calendar, booking event space, arranging catering, AV equipment ( if required), event signage, and the setting up of events.
- To maintain the security of the grounds and premises and their contents during lettings periods (predominantly weekends); key holding duties including opening and closing of the school and ensuring all buildings are secure, alarms set and electrical equipment switched off.
- To liaise with prospective hirers and assess requirements and suitability.
- To be the responsible license holder for the sale of alcohol at events hosted on the School site.
- Assist in the set up and maintenance of all event and bar service areas, including running the bar with support from bar staff where required.
- Conduct site visits with clients to confirm events, or update information from returning clients.
- Car parking duties for events.
- Ensure all information is dealt with in a professional, timely, customer focussed manner.
- Helping set up and dismantle events efficiently through to completion.
- General housekeeping - remove refuse and clean up spillages etc.
- General Porterage duties (furniture, bar stock, rubbish etc.).
- To become familiar with opening and locking up procedures of all school sites in order to cover for absent colleagues.
Health & Safety
- Ensure fire safety doors are kept in order and closed at all times unless fitted with approved opening systems.
- To report any issues affecting the health and safety of persons on site to the Head Janitor/Facilities Manager by the quickest possible means.
- To immediately clean up any hazard to clients (i.e. broken glass, liquids on stairs and floors etc.).
- Assist with carrying out risk assessments for own areas of work in consultation with Events & Lettings/Facilities Manager.
EA Trading LTD will put the post holder through the SCPLH Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders course.
A full job description and application form can be found on: https://www.edinburghacademy.org.uk/vacancies-ss
Please send your CV, along with a completed application form and covering letter outlining your experience and suitability for the post by Thursday 18 April 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.