Lead our new national organisation
A New Zealand Sign Language version of this advertisement can be viewed here.
This national leadership role provides you a unique opportunity to make a positive difference for Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) learners while taking the next step in your career. This is a significant role for a proven education leader. This role can be based in either Christchurch or Auckland, New Zealand.
The Executive Principal will integrate van Asch and Kelston Deaf Education Centres and build this new national organisation from its current foundations and history to develop world leading DHH education delivery across NZ. The integration of the two Deaf Education Centres into one national organisation is widely supported by parents, staff and stakeholders.
You will bring vision, strategic, operational and financial leadership to develop a more equitable and effective service for DHH learners in Aotearoa New Zealand. The Executive Principal will be leading a national team of around 400 educational, pastoral and organisational support staff. Given the unique merger status, the Executive Principal will have the rare opportunity to influence organisational structure and create the senior leadership team, structure and buy in to enable their vision to become reality.
Your vision will ensure Deaf Education Aotearoa New Zealand will continue to deliver a wide range of services to DHH learners from pre-school to 21 years. New service delivery initiatives will be student and whanau centered and work in partnership with local school agencies. You will embrace the best of current pedagogy and technology. You will create a values-based organisation that is flexible, always improving, and equity focused.
Working with the Establishment Committee on behalf of the Board of Trustees, and a merger transition team, you will ensure this new school is up and running from July 2020.
As the Executive Principal of Deaf Education Aotearoa New Zealand, you will:
- Have a lasting impact and co-create the future pathway for Deaf education in NZ
- Be the leader of education for DHH learners in NZ
- Be a champion for DHH learners right up to the highest levels of government
- Enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of building a new organisation
- Work with a passionate and committed student, parent and stakeholder community
- Lead a diverse and complex nationwide organisation. Deaf Education Aotearoa New Zealand is much more than a school and provides a wide range of services to DHH learners
- Build your career and capability beyond the traditional school principal
- Work from either Auckland or Christchurch
- Given the complexity and the momentum of change within this educational landscape a successful applicant may be eligible for the Principal Recruitment Allowance of up to $50,000.
- You may be eligible for a $5000 overseas relocation grant from the Ministry of Education
As the successful appointee you will:
- Understand, embrace and value Deaf culture. You’ll be an advocate for equity and for your DHH students.
- Have proven understanding and deep knowledge of student-centered education.
- Have highly developed communication and the ability to work in a bilingual environment. The ability to communicate in NZSL would be an advantage but a commitment to learn or improve your skills in NZSL is essential
- Have exceptional relationship skills. You’ll be visible, approachable, transparent, and build teams through your ability to win hearts and minds.
- Be a proven leader and manager with a successful track record delivering strategy and operations in large, complex organisations. This may include experience leading at a national level.
- Be able to work across cultures and be committed to creating a bicultural partnership within the Treaty of Waitangi
To apply or to find out more about this once in a lifetime opportunity EITHER hit “APPLY NOW” (you will be required to upload your CV) OR email email@example.com and request a candidate information pack. To arrange a confidential conversation about this role please contact Scott King at Inside Recruitment. firstname.lastname@example.org or call +644 913 6949
Recruitment for this opportunity is being managed by Education Personnel and Inside Recruitment for the Combined Board of Trustees of van Asch and Kelston Deaf Education Centres.
Applications close 23rd August.