Executive SENCO Responsible for Special Educational Needs, Interventions and Research Development
Salary: L6-L9 (£44,102 - £47,492) To start: September 2017 Permanent
Springwell Learning Community comprises of two academies, Springwell Special Academy which is an outstanding cross-phase SEMH Special School, boasting a national reputation for excellence in working with children and young people with special educational needs/SEMH and Springwell Alternative Academy (KS1-4) dispersed provisions situated throughout the borough of Barnsley.
As part of Wellspring Academy Trust and as a National Teaching School, Springwell is at the cutting edge of educational development, involved in national research and development, teacher training, bespoke CPD and school-to-school support regionally and nationally. This creates obvious opportunities for professional development and career progression beyond the classroom.
Springwell Learning Community also incorporates EOTAS, Elective Home education and the Behaviour Support Service.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead best SEND practice.
The successful candidate will have:
- Qualified SENCO status masters, or equivalent
- A thorough understanding and experience of special educational needs with specific reference to Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) difficulties
- Understanding and working knowledge of the SEN Code of Practice 2014
- Experience of organising and conducting SEN annual reviews
- Experience of formal assessment for Education, Health and Care plans
- The ability to support and develop colleagues’ knowledge and professional development of SEN and interventions
- Experience of multi-agency working
- The ability to be innovative and creative in developing effective interventions
- Self-motivated with a willingness to develop own skills and professional learning
- Passionate about the use of research and development to explore new strategies to meet the needs of children with complex needs and significant vulnerability
- Springwell will consider a SENCO with experience in mainstream school (primary or secondary) who has proven motivation to develop their knowledge, skills and understanding in this specialist setting.
Springwell Special Academy serves the whole of Barnsley and is a state of the art multi-million pound specialist building. The school has been designed around a vision where unconditional positive regard lies at the core of everything we do. Sound, lighting, shape and space all contribute to a pedagogical approach based on nurture principles and immersive learning, that promotes creativity across the curriculum, with a strong emphasis on literacy. In the heart of the school we have an innovative immersive space allowing compelling learning experiences to engage and motivate our pupils.
The Executive Principal of Springwell is a member of the Headteachers’ Roundtable which is working at a national level to influence education policy. He is also an associate of Independent Thinking Limited and a National Leader of Education.
Full details of the position can be found on our website www.springwelllearningcommunity.co.uk/. To discuss the role or to arrange a visit to the special academy please contact 01226 291133.
The closing date for this post is Monday 22nd May 2017 at 5pm
Interviews will take place on Friday 26th May 2017
Springwell Learning Community is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. A criminal records bureau check will be undertaken for the successful applicant.
http://acurriculumthatcounts.org.uk/case-studies/springwell/ (ATL teachers’ union website)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qpw9b (Victoria Derbyshire news)
Twitter: @springwellcss @davewhitaker246 @watts_verity