Full time, 35 hours per week,
Scale P02 £34,884 to £3,7722 (Subject to job evaluation)
Flexible working considered for the right applicant
Closing date: 14 December 2021
Visits to the school: 30 November & 1 December
Interviews: Monday 21 December 2021
Do you have an eye for detail and like to think innovatively? Do you like juggling multiple tasks and working to deadlines with purpose?
If so, this could be the right job for you....
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated individual who is keen to develop their career within the education sector.
This is an exciting time to Join Barking Abbey School and a fantastic opportunity for someone with a strong financial, Business and technical background to work with and to support the School Business Manager in further developing the finance business functions for the School.
Reporting to the School Business Manager, you will be part of the schools core staff leadership team. Managing the finance team and all day to day aspects of the finance functions and software in school such as processing payments, invoicing and sales and the production of monthly management accounts
Having now reached our final year of growth and expansion we are looking to further develop our central core team and our business support services of which this role is integral. We are looking for someone who will work alongside the School Business Manager to further embed, develop and streamline all financial systems and processes
You will support with the production of financial reports, and management information, compiling under the direction of the SBM for reporting to the Governing Body and Local Authority.
You will support the School Business Manager with the further development and embedding of robust customer focused financial policies systems and processes.
Specific finance software training will be provided, previous experience of working in a school or education setting is desirable but not essential.
The successful candidate will:
• Have experience of managing large scale budgets
• Understand and adhere to principals around the use and protection of public funds
• Have a good understanding of accounting processes, and standards as set out in local authority, EFSA and DFE guidance.
• Be highly organised and able to deliver workstreams to tight deadlines.
• Have the ability to manage and motivate members of their team, and think of innovative solutions
• Be able to develop and streamline customer and results focused systems and processes
• Be able to develop strong professional relationships with all school staff
• Have a customer focused approach with high standards and expectations
• Be able to provide support and advice around aspects of financial management and processes
• Be passionate about providing a service that proactively supports the daily operation of the school and is in line with financial regulations and schools wider regulatory framework.
• Have accountability on the day to use and management of the Schools finance systems and processes.
• Experience and understanding of using and developing financial software
• Be comfortable with the developing and embedding of financial control processes and the undertaking reconciliation tasks.
• Have responsibility for the production of timely and accurate monthly reports
• Be an excellent verbal and written communicator be able to problem solve
• Work effectively with personnel from different teams within the school and externally
• Be a confident and competent self-starter,
• Be enthusiastic about developing your skills and those of others within the team and taking on new responsibilities as the school develops further
• Be qualified, part qualified, or undertaking either an Accountancy/Business management or other relevant qualification (e.g. ADSBM, CIPFA, AAT, ACCA, CIMA),
• Have accountability for the management and upkeep of the schools contracts register making sure that the SBM is kept up to date with contract terms and renewal dates so that the appropriate tenders and quotations can be sought
• Support the School Business Manager with the preparations for the annual budget and five-year forecasting
• Assist in the seeking of quotations and preparation of tender documentation
• Support the School Business Manager and other key staff with the preparation of funding applications
• Liaise with the Local authority and other funding bodies to make sure all funding is received and in line with projections
In return we can offer you:
• A good school with outstanding features (OFSTED 2017)
• A school where we get to know our students and staff well, find out what they are good at and develop their talents
• A professional, friendly and supportive working environment
• The opportunity to access a wide range of CPD opportunities within and beyond school
• A school which understands the importance of staff well-being and workload management
• An experienced School Business Manager, with a track record of supporting staff to develop their careers
• Work as a member of the core staff leadership team, developing your skills and making an impact to the lives of our students
Potential flexible working on offer for an outstanding candidate. The successful candidate will be subject to an Enhanced DBS Check if not registered on the Update Service. Immediate start available
If you believe you have the skills and expertise to make a significant contribution to our school and work as part of a friendly professional and welcoming team, we hope that you will apply. We encourage applications from suitably qualified, enthusiastic and experienced professionals.
Full details are set out in the Application pack including a job description and person spec.
We believe it’s important that are our staff are happy and thriving and want them to enjoy working in the school sharing our ethos and values. With this in mind, visits to the school are warmly welcomed prior to interview and will be held on 30 November & 1 December.
To book your appointment email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barking Abbey serves a diverse community and positively welcome applications from all sections of the community. If you are interested in making a difference in young people’s lives whatever your background or history please apply.
Barking Abbey is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and is an Equal Opportunities Employer. This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 and a comprehensive screening process, including Disclosure check, will be undertaken on all successful applicants.
Barking Abbey is a heavily over-subscribed split site secondary school in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, and has a well-deserved reputation for its friendly and supportive atmosphere and its excellent academic achievements. With a large ...