Alpha Plus is a private education provider for children aged between one and eighteen years of age. The Group comprises a collection of sixteen highly regarded independent schools and three colleges in the UK, and we also own and run one school in New York.
Our aim is to give every child in our care the best possible start in life. Each Head, or Principal, leads their institution towards a common goal of education excellence, which is defined as the Alpha Plus ‘Gold Standard’.
About the Role
An opportunity has arisen for a Finance Officer to work for St. Anthony’s School for Boys and its sister school, St. Anthony’s School for Girls. Both are independent preparatory schools based in Hampstead and are part of the Alpha Plus Group.
The ideal candidate will be reliable, honest, flexible and trustworthy and able to work in a busy environment with adults and children alike. Proficiency in English, both spoken and written, is essential as is good knowledge of office software packages. Previous financial administration experience is essential and knowledge of SIMS and working in the education sector is desirable.
The role is term time only based on 39 weeks per year.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Invoice Preparation and Credit Control
- Manage and update all fee payer detail and fee payer data using the School Information Management System (SIMS)
- Termly billing run
- Managing deposits and registration fees
- Process advanced fees
- Responding to queries from parents and fee payers
- Producing monthly Aged Debtor reports
- Credit Control
- Assisting with the collation of information for referral to debt collecting agency
- Posting receipts to SIMS
Managing direct debit payment system on a day-to-day basis
- Sending direct debit mandates to parents for completion and return, checking paperwork before it is sent to the bank
- Acting on all BACS rejects
- Preparation of supplier invoices for authorisation
- Recording costs on budget sheets
- Liaising with suppliers on outstanding invoices
- Managing the School’s Amazon Business Account
- Purchasing items on line using the school credit card and completing the monthly reconciliation
- Setting up trips and other events on Parentpay and ensuring monies are paid
- Managing the administration of the Parentpay database
- Reconciling the school’s charitable fundraising
- Raising cheque requisitions and submitting to Head Office
- Completing monthly bank reconciliation and submitting to Head Office
Banking and Cash Management
- Day-to-day banking of cheques and cash
- Assisting the Head to ensure school operating costs are contained within authorised budgets, particularly with regard to departmental budgets
- Maintaining and reconciling petty cash
This list is not exhaustive and the essence of the job is to be accommodating and flexible at all times, as such the Finance Officer may be asked to carry out duties other than those listed as deemed reasonable by the Head and the Financial Controller at Head Office.
Alpha Plus Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicant will need to obtain an enhanced disclosure via the DBS, and have DBS (Disclosure and Barring Services) clearance. References must be provided and will be carefully checked.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.