Main Purpose of the Job
The role of the Language Assistant is to bring the language and culture of their country to the classroom and make language learning relevant, fun and “real” for the students whilst supporting the language teacher. The Language Assistant should try to use his/her native language at all times in the classroom.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide support to the language teacher in the classroom.
• Take small conversation groups. Keep notes on the progress of students and update the class teacher regularly.
• Run speaking lessons with A-level students – typically 25-30mins.
• Administer speaking tests as required in consultation with the class teacher
• Help prepare students for oral examinations.
• Contribute to group discussions in class.
• Contribute to project work.
• Prepare small activities to encourage conversation or debate
• Have an up to date understanding of exam specifications and requirements at GCSE, and A-Level
• Invigilate speaking exams for GCSE, AS and A2
Person Specification Knowledge / Experience
• Native level French speaker
• Previous experience of working with children or school environments
• Good communicator verbally
• Good organisational skills
Gordon’s School is a State Boarding and Day School and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment – applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate screening including a DBS check.