We are looking for an enthusiastic and well-qualified teacher to join our growing department at this exciting stage in the development of the school, as we embark on our A level Programme. This is a full-time position and you will join a department of four members of staff. We are looking for a passionate linguist, who is able to promote a love of language learning and culture throughout the school. They should be inspired to stay at the forefront of language teaching pedagogy and be an organised and collaborative team player.
You must be experienced at teaching languages at KS3 to KS5 and knowledge of the UK Curriculum at and a track record of success at GCSE and A Level is vital. Our students have the full range of abilities and so experience gained in an excellent state or private school and of teaching native speakers will be important. You will ideally also have experience of teaching the DELF/DALF qualifications. Other key features of the role involve helping to embed French throughout the life of the school and contributing fully to the enrichment programme, in particular trips and exchanges. You will also need to have been teaching for at least three years and have a degree from a university or institution of higher education, to be eligible for a Swiss, post-Brexit work permit.
MFL at GES
At GES Secondary we strive to empower active, independent, resilient learners, who are confident to speak and take risks and who have a passion for languages and an awareness of the importance and enjoyment of language learning in a global society.
In order to awaken our students’ language awareness, we share our sense of curiosity and passion for language and culture. We go well beyond a purely functional view of language and aim at providing intellectual and linguistic challenges to stretch our students fully, encouraging them to join up their thinking and see the connections between languages, appreciating how they can draw on their previous knowledge to make progress and deepen their learning.
It is a truly enriching language experience because not only do our students gain a high level of competency in their languages, achieved through a challenging and thorough curriculum, including the study of literature for all pupils from Year 7, and continuous enrichment but also a deep understanding of and excitement for language developed through a focus on metacognition and active learning.
We place great importance on French within the school and this is reflected in our commitment to French within the timetable, starting with daily French lessons in Year 7. All students study French in Year 7 through to Year 13. We currently have two levels of French classes within which we have the full range of experience and abilities, from beginners to native speakers. Qualification entries are tailored to the needs of our students and GCSE French can be taken from Year 9 onwards, before moving onto the relevant DELF/DALF qualifications. We greatly value our geographical location and are developing a rich and ever-expanding enrichment programme to embed French throughout our students’ school experience.
In addition, all pupils choose a second language, German or Spanish, at the start of Year 7, which they study throughout Key Stage 3 and have the option to continue for GCSE. As the school grows and develops, we are also excited to extend the range of languages we offer. In the 6th Form we will be offering both the A-Level qualifications and the CEFR qualifications.
What we offer
GES is located just outside (but with easy access to) the city of Geneva. Our primary school is based on the lake with glorious views of Mt Blanc and our secondary school is located in purpose built and cutting edge facilities 30 minutes away. We are a happy and successful school and ensure that our students and staff are looked after and challenged. Switzerland is a safe and wonderful country to live in and the school community takes advantage of the nature and beauty surrounding us at every opportunity. It is a wonderful place to live with a very high standard of living and quality of life.
The salary for this role is highly competitive locally and will be around 80'000CHF or above, depending on experience and qualifications. Staff will also receive a medical allowance, access to after school care for their children and discounted school fees.
We keep an open mind in the consideration of any applicant who believes they have something special and valuable to contribute.
- An ability to teach French from beginner up to native speaker level (A level) and an ability to teach German or Spanish to at least KS3 level
- Experience of teaching MFL at Key Stage 3, 4 and 5 including GCSE and A level. We will only consider candidates with teaching experience of GCSE and A level French.
- Three years teaching experience in a UK state or independent school or recognised international school teaching the British Curriculum
- A degree from a university or institution of higher education
- Track record of excellent GCSE and A level results
- An enthusiastic and creative approach to teaching, which inspires pupils and enables learning to be engaging and relevant
- A commitment to helping students to develop a broad range of skills and attributes
- A commitment to an interconnected curriculum and to working with colleagues across a range of disciplines
- The ability to communicate effectively with pupils, colleagues and parents and to work as part of a collaborative team
- An interest in education beyond the classroom and across the age range
- Flexibility, a sense of humour, and a willingness to contribute to all aspects of school life, including trips, projects, special events and extracurricular clubs
How to apply
Applications should be made through our TES school portal. Please do not send a CV, as they are not accepted. In your application letter you should ensure that you outline your impact and successes and how you meet the job description and person specification. Due to the large number of applications we get for every role, it may not be possible to contact every candidate but we thank you in advance for your interest in our school. Please contact HR via email@example.com if you have any questions about the role.
Closing date is Monday 8th March at midday (Swiss Time)
Interviews will take place two weeks later. Due to Covid restrictions interviews may take place remotely.
Good luck in your application and please do check out our website for more information about the school. www.geschool.ch
GES is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers, enhanced national/international criminal records checks and prohibition from teaching checks. In some instances social media/Internet checks may also be carried out
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 3 years teaching experience.
- Any degree.
- B. Ed, Bachelors with Teaching Qualification, M. Ed, PGCE or PGDE, iPGCE, UK Qualified Teacher Status, Government approved teaching certification from non-UK country or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English, French.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or United Kingdom.
- References, Criminal background check
Geneva English School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years