General School Technician - SCP 13, £22,021
Start: January 2020 or as soon as possible. Lordswood Boys’ School, Birmingham.
Accountable to the Trust for the delivery of outstanding outcomes for young people, we are seeking to appoint a talented professional in the following area:
Closing date: Wednesday 11th December, 2019, Midday.
Now that we have had a massive increase in numbers wishing to join us, an increase we attribute entirely to the massive improvement in standards at LBS, we need more staff in key departments.
This is a full-time, permanent position.
To assist Science & IT staff as well the wider school technical requirements as they arise:
- In developing appropriate resources for teaching and learning under the direction of department leaders to ensure that all Health & Safety requirements are met.
- To maintain and monitor consumables and equipment across the school to ensure all pupils are able to access a wide range materials and processes.
- To assist teaching staff in promoting and raising the profile of these subjects within and outside our school.
- To support the development and delivery of Computer Aided Design, Manufacture and/or related disciplines.
- To prepare materials & equipment for practical lessons.
- To maintain machinery and equipment in accordance with Health & Safety requirements.
- Carry out weekly Health and Safety checks on all equipment, machinery and chemicals and report directly to the Heads of Department.
Skills and qualities:
- Able to contribute constructively to and work effectively as a member of a team.
- Able to work on own initiative within an agreed framework and set of objectives.
- Able to communicate effectively at a range of levels, e.g. with children, parents, other professionals, etc.
- Able to contribute to the support of children in all areas of personal and educational development.
- Able to keep accurate records.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Willing to help with extra-curricular tasks including supervising and transporting students to services.
- It would be beneficial to have a background in science (industry or school).
- You will be familiar with chemicals and scientific equipment.
- Some experience of working with young people and working in an educational setting would be advantageous but I not essential.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety, COSHH, IOSH,COMAH would be an advantage.
- Able to recognise common forms of discrimination and to report this if detected.
- Some understanding of the issues in an urban multi-cultural context.
- The job is likely to involve some lifting of Technology material and equipment on a regular basis.
- The use of power tools and machinery will be a requisite of the role
Health and Safety training will be provided.
Lordswood Boy’s School is among the most improved schools in England.
Progress 8: +0.42
Lordswood will become one of Birmingham’s great educational success stories and we invite you to join us in our fabulous new, state-of-the-art building with our wonderful, engaging and highly intelligent and articulate young men. Come and see for yourself. For visits, other information, informal discussions and application forms:
Mr Williams would be delighted to meet you and show you around the school or have an extended informal conversation with you, by telephone. Mr Williams is our Head of School.
Candidates will be required to submit the names of two referees, one of which must be your most recent employer.
Our £15m new school is being built for opening in February 2020…it is nearly ready…!
Apply today and join our amazing success story.