The Groundsperson’s role is to provide practical support for the day-to-day operation of the School with particular emphasis on preparing sports pitches for rugby, football, cricket and athletics. The Facilities Manager will direct tasking on a daily/weekly basis according to the school’s calendar and holiday activity programme.
The Groundsperson will work 45 hours per week during term time (40 hours per week during school holiday periods) inclusive of one hour’s worth of breaks each day and at such further times and for such periods as are necessary for the proper performance of duties. The hours worked will be based around a normal school day from 8:00am to 5:00pm but start and finish times will be seasonal so some flexibility will be required.
Whilst the job is based at Davenies School in Beaconsfield, sports pitches are also maintained locally at St Mary’s School.
- Preparation of grass sports pitches including mowing, measuring and marking
- Maintenance of the Astroturf (Tiger Turf)
- Weed/bramble control throughout the site
- Mowing the lawns
- Maintenance of shrubs, hedges and small trees
- Leaf clearance
- Keeping the Grounds Maintenance Compound and sheds in good order and storing all grounds equipment and machinery safely and securely
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Ice and snow clearance, and gritting (as necessary)
- Clearing and tidying of paths and hard surfaces onsite and within the Loop; including jet washing hard standings
- Litter picking
- Maintaining fences and gates in good order
- Security checks including unlocking and locking the school buildings
- Provide practical support to meet the requirements of regular school activities, matches, special events and community users/lettings; including assisting preparation of rooms for school events and functions
- Undertake general maintenance tasks to ensure that the buildings, specific spaces and grounds are maintained to the highest standard
Health and Safety
- Support the Facilities Manager by following safe systems of work and risk assessment within the Site Maintenance Team and monitoring personal exposure to high risk hazards including vibration, noise and manual handling.
- Maintain the COSHH register for maintenance items and undertake regular checks that regulated substances are being stored and used in accordance with extant guidelines.
- Ensure all maintenance work is carried out using appropriate equipment and PPE in accordance with the School’s Health and Safety Policy, especially in connection with the use of hazardous substances.
- Ensure that all maintenance contractors are aware of and observe site health and safety regulations through SAFE START, have evidence of valid DBS checks (where necessary) and that all relevant documentation and procedures are in place, such as permit to work, method statements, risk assessments, etc.
Through on the job training the Groundsperson will become familiar with Health and Safety in the Workplace, risk assessments, using and maintaining machinery safely, manual handling and forward maintenance planning.
Undertake any other tasks identified by the Facilities Manager or Bursar within the general scope of responsibility.