- Full Time - Fixed Term 2020 school year
- Commencing January 2020
- $83,674 to $116,731 per annum plus Super
- School Based
About the organisation
Brisbane Catholic Education (BCE) is a learning community of over 140 schools within the Archdiocese of Brisbane, covering a geographical area that includes much of south-east Queensland.
Committed to high quality teaching and learning for more than 70,000 young people enrolled in our schools and colleges from Prep to Year 12, we inspire students with a love of learning and a heart of hope, empowering them to shape and enrich our world. Through our partnerships with parents, governments and the community, we provide social responsibility, self-discipline and Christian values for all our students and nurture and support the community in their faith journey.
About the role
As Guidance Counsellor, you will form part of the guidance and counselling team supporting the students and school community of Mt Maria College, Mitchelton. Mt Maria College, North Brisbane’s first Catholic Co-Educational College, was established in 1978. As a member of Marist Schools Australia, our educational philosophy is based on the teachings of St Marcellin Champagnat, the founder of the Marist Order. The College has developed significantly in recent years having expanded its facilities to provide excellent education opportunities for Year 7-12 students. Currently, 1020 students are part of our Mt Maria family with a high demand for future enrolments. The College provides the opportunities for all its students to develop to their full potential, ready to be positive and justice centred contributors to society.
You will work collaboratively with the school communitiy to foster the learning and wellbeing of all students through the provision of a proactive, quality guidance and counselling service. Supported by School Services and the Student Wellbeing team you will be responsive to a vibrant and complex community of teachers and learners. Become part of a welcoming and supportive organisation, which encourages professional learning and staff engagement.
- Facilitate proactive and preventative practices and initiatives that promote social, emotional and educational development and the mental health and wellbeing of all students in partnership with school communities
- Manage counselling and consulting services for students (with personal, social, emotional, vocational and educational needs) with a focus on prevention, intervention and student learning
- Provide psycho-educational and other assessments
- Ensure BCE protocols and quality processes for student protection, educating students with disabilities, behaviour support, the containment of critical incidents and mandatory record keeping are implemented
- Maintain standards of practice that are consistent with registration boards and membership of professional associations
- Current full registration with the Queensland College of Teachers and/or the Psychology Board of Australia (dual registration is desirable)
- Relevant postgraduate qualifications in Psychology and/or Guidance and Counselling (Masters level preferred)
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Successful experience as a Guidance Counsellor in an educational setting with a focus on prevention, intervention and student learning
- Experience in identifying and developing activities to address academic and life career development of students
- Experience in the administration, interpretation and report writing for psycho-educational assessments
- Experience in providing support and leadership in response to student protection issues, critical incidents and risk management
- Collaboration skills and the ability to work in a team environment
As part of your application you will be required to provide:
- a current resume;
- an application letter (2 pages maximum); and
- contact details for referees
Your application letter should summarise your suitability for the role and demonstrate how your skills, knowledge and attributes will enable you to successfully deliver the Key Result Areas as contained in the attached Role Description.
- A welcoming, collegial and flexible working environment
- Competitive salaries benchmarked to industry standards
- Salary packaging and salary sacrificing options
- The opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students
Contact Person: Karen Forster
Contact Telephone Number: 07 3033 7476
Contact Email: Karen.Forster@bne.catholic.edu.au
Closing Date: 24-Nov-2019
Statement of Principles for Employment - Schools Opens in new window
Guidance Counsellor - Amalgamated Version Opens in new window
Guidance Counsellor Salary Scale Opens in new window