ST MARY’S CATHOLIC SCHOOL
Newcastle upon Tyne
Headteacher: J Foster NOR c.1350
Head of Art
TLR 2b £4,441
Required for September 2018
The Governors wish to appoint an excellent Head of Art to lead our flourishing Art department. The successful candidate will build on existing strengths in the department and will ensure that achievement, teaching, the curriculum and leadership and management, all remain first-class, at each key stage. This role should appeal both to candidates seeking their first leadership post or to more experienced candidates already in a leadership role, looking to develop in an outstanding school which is totally committed to Art. Job share applications are welcome.
St Mary’s is a very successful, popular and happy school, rated Outstanding by the Diocese and Ofsted. We became an academy in 2013 and enjoy outstanding facilities in a new building which opened in 2011. We are also very popular with parents and are one of the most over-subscribed schools in the north-east. We have over 1,100 students in the main school and our Sixth Form, of over 200, is expected to grow to 300 in the next three years.
In addition, we are a Teaching School, increasingly engaged in school to school support, initial teacher training and CPD and leadership development across the region. As a result, further opportunities for professional development are wide-ranging and an added attraction for potential new staff.
At St Mary’s, Art is a well-established and highly respected department with excellent results. Recent highlights include:
- 100% A*-C achieved in GCSE Art in 2017, with 58% A*/A grades
- 75% A*-C grades across A Level Fine Art and A Level Photography over the last 4 years
Above all, the Governors wish to appoint a leader with:-
- A clear commitment to nurturing and promoting the school’s distinctive ethos
- A passion for providing the best possible holistic education for all students
- A commitment to maximising achievement through excellence in teaching and learning
- An excellent track record as a classroom teacher
- The drive, creativity and ambition to lead and develop the Art department in the next phase in its development and to promote a love of art in our students
Application packs are available to download here, on the school’s website, or by e-mailing the Headteacher’s PA, email@example.com.
Closing date: 10:00am Tuesday 20th March 2018
The school is fully committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children and young people. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.