Abbey Gate College is the longest-running coeducational independent school in the Chester area, catering for circa 485 pupils aged 4-18 years. Set in the idyllic rural villages of Saighton and Aldford on the outskirts of Chester.
Our pupils are at the heart of everything we do. We believe education is about building self-esteem, a love of learning and igniting a desire in all our students, to ensure they fulfil their academic and personal potential. We strive to guarantee our children leave Abbey Gate College as confident, articulate, respectful and happy young high achievers.
From the youngest in Foundation to our Sixth Formers, we aim to develop skills for life; core values such as respect and compassion within the framework of an excellent education. Developing talents and skills in a wide range of areas are encouraged, success is celebrated and endeavour is recognised.
Abbey Gate College is committed to the safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The Head of Chemistry will have responsibility for the Chemistry department and any additional responsibilities as directed by the Head of Science;
1) Responsibilities for The Head of Chemistry:
- to ensure that teachers in the department are effective and efficient delivering their subject curriculum area.
- to be familiar with the job descriptions of the teachers of Chemistry as they affect the teaching of the subject and help to ensure that the criteria are met.
- to allocate responsibilities to the Chemistry teachers that are fair and equitable and to ensure that they are carried out.
- to organise effective and efficient Chemistry meetings on the dates set and otherwise as appropriate. Produce agendas before and minutes after the meetings.
- to oversee staff development of the Chemistry teachers through the staff review system.
- to ensure that the appropriate Schemes of Work are in place and are applied effectively by the Chemistry teachers.
- to keep the Schemes of Work under constant review.
- to be responsible for ensuring that the Schemes of Work are updated annually and are available at the beginning of the Autumn Term.
- to keep up to date with all aspects of the development of teaching and learning related to Chemistry.
- to contribute to the Science Department Handbook (which contains the Science Development plan) as and when required by the Head of Science.
- to act as a mentor for members of the department where appropriate.
- to oversee the population of the VLE with Chemistry appropriate content.
- to liaise with the Learning Support Department and Head of Science to ensure pupils have the necessary access arrangement for public exams and internal assessments.
- Any other duties as required.
Please see detailed job description for full details and person specification.
Salary, Terms and Conditions
The salary for this position will depend upon the qualifications and relevant experience of the successful candidate.
Abbey Gate College regards as paramount the welfare and safety of children. Whilst criminal convictions are not necessarily a bar, this safety consideration will be key to all decisions regarding the employment of staff, approval of volunteers and standards of external contractors. An enhanced DBS check and barred check will be required for this role.
We are committed to treating all employees with dignity and respect regardless of race, ethnic background, nationality, colour, gender, transgender status, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. We therefore welcome applications from all segments of the community.