Head of Computer Science
St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London.
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 365 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with outstanding inter-personal skills, to teach Computer Science. We will be pleased to receive applications from both experienced teachers and NQTs.
The Computer Science Department is led by the Head of Computer Science. The successful candidate will be in charge of this thriving department and lead the continuing development of the Computer Science curriculum. There is a culture of innovation and support within the members of this team; staff are encouraged to develop their own subject expertise and take leadership of key aspects of the Department’s development.
The Department is well resourced with two main computer rooms for teaching that are equipped with Interactive Projectors, a third smaller suite and a bookable bank of 20 iPads. The main computing rooms use PCs, with iMacs in use in the Music and Art Departments.
The successful candidate will report to the Director of IT in relation to Digital Learning. The Head of Computer Science will have a key role in organising events to promote the development of the subject and enrichment of student experiences.
What we want from you
• University Graduate in a related subject
• The ability to offer A Level Computer Science
• Qualified teacher with an ability to teach Computer Science from Year 7 to Year 13, including digital literacy and online safety
• Excellent communication skills
• Motivation to work with young people
• Positive attitude and approach to change and development
• Willingness to participate in and expectation of contribution to the wider life of a boarding school and extra-curricular life
• The ability to tutor girls and be pastorally aware of their needs
• The ability to teach Maths to GCSE (desirable but not essential)
What we offer
• A property available to live in off-site, but within easy walking distance of the school grounds
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Competitive salaries and a contributory pension scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our website www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone 01249 857200 (Karen Turner) Email email@example.com
Closing date: Monday 25th March 2019 at 9am
St Mary’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of pupils. Due to the nature of the work involved, the successful applicant will be required to undertake an Enhanced DBS check.