Abdulla Bin Otaiba (ABO) School is looking to appoint a positive, dynamic and enthusiastic Head of EAL.
ABO is a US Curriculum Elementary (Primary) school, from KG2 to Grade 5 (FS2 to Y6). All of our students speak Arabic as their first language and whilst many of them have strong spoken skills, we now need to develop phonics, reading and comprehension skills across the school, to enable our students to quickly access the curriculum. This is of paramount importance to the overall success of the school.
The Head of EAL will demonstrate a vision for outstanding provision for EAL for students of all ages, and the planning and leadership skills required to achieve that vision.
The Head of EAL will works alongside the Leadership Team to raise the standards for English across the whole school.
ABO is a vibrant, happy community, where students really enjoy being at school and staff are committed to raising expectations.
We are now seeking to appoint an individual who shares our passion for learning.
Responsibilities The Head of EAL will:
- Oversee the assessment and monitoring of all students’ level of English.
- Monitor teaching quality and work directly with teachers to ensure the highest standards of everyday classroom practice.
- Create regular opportunities for teachers to share, reflect and improve on classroom practice.
- Lead staff training, ensuring a focus on improving student outcomes.
- Oversee the development of a progressive and effective EAL curriculum.
- Monitor student progress, evaluate the success of EAL strategies and identify areas for improvement.
- Ensure assessment and feedback strategies are of the highest standards and have a direct impact on improving the quality of teaching and learning.
- Support teachers in the timely and effective reporting of information to parents.
- Develop EAL to be an example of excellence to others within and beyond the school.
- Communicate the successes and impact of EAL activities within and beyond our community
All members of staff contribute to the school’s extra-curricular programme and are expected to play a full part in the life of the school.
- Leadership experience, working collaboratively in a team
- Experience of working with children with a variety of EAL needs
- Sound knowledge of UK and international EAL policies and developments in EAL education is desirable
- Bachelor of Education or 1st degree + PGCE (as per ADEK criteria)
- NPQML or NPQSL or qualifications in EAL strategies is desirable, but not essential.
Abdulla Bin Otaiba School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.