We seek to appoint a Head of English in the senior school (Key Stages 3, 4 and 5) for September 2020. If you are a dynamic, flexible and ambitious professional with a real commitment to academic excellence and a holistic education then the British International School, Cairo could be the school for you.
The successful candidate will have a passion for teaching English, be willing to contribute to curriculum development and participate actively in their own professional development. Previous experience of a position of responsibility within a UK National Curriculum or a British style international school is desirable. You will be expected to teach English across the senior school (11-18) and contribute to co-curricular activities.
The British International School, Cairo is one of the leading academic schools in the region. Located on the fringes of Cairo, the School enjoys the benefits of a modern, purpose-built, spacious campus with state of the art facilities. BISC is an IB World School, a member of COBISA, BSME and IAPS. Further details are available on our website: www.bisc.edu.eg
Cairo itself is a bustling city, home to some of the world’s most iconic ancient monuments, with good access to other countries in the region, Europe and Asia. It is a city with a rich cultural heritage, a crossroads between Africa, the Middle East and Europe. With a population close to twenty million Cairo is a city of huge contrasts and provides endless opportunities for exploration and discovery.
Members of the School leadership team will be attending the TES job fair in Manchester on 16 to 18 November. UK based applicants will be interviewed at or around the date of this fair. Overseas applicants will be interviewed by Skype.
● experience of leadership role within an English department, ideally including IB .
● graduate in English or a related subject with qualified teacher status;
● enthusiastic and innovative teacher with a genuine passion for teaching, who can motivate and inspire students using a variety of strategies;
● includes Assessment for Learning as an integral part of classroom practice;
● understands how to stretch more able and support weaker students;
● leads and works as a member of teams in a collaborative manner;
● committed to her/his own professional development and the professional development of colleagues;
● understands an inquiry based approach to learning;
● committed to contributing to a holistic approach to education;
● demonstrates understanding of sharing good practice for teaching and learning;
● genuine passion for teaching, who can motivate and inspire students using a variety of strategies;
● enjoys the opportunity to participate in co-curricular activities;
● meets our CHILD PROTECTION and SAFEGUARDING requirements in full.
To comply with Egyptian employment law, applicants must have QTS and a MINIMUM of two years teaching post qualification teaching experience.
The British International School, Cairo (BISC) operates a similar teaching scale to schools in the UK which increases with teaching experience. All salaries are tax free and paid in Pounds Sterling. The salary for a Head of English will be in the region of £45,000 p.a.
In addition all overseas contract teachers benefit from rent-free, furnished accommodation, private BUPA Gold medical insurance, annual return travel to the UK, and generous fee remission for school-aged children.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by completing the online application form on the TES website. In addition please upload a letter of application, addressed to the Principal - Mr. Graeme Keslake as a pdf document.
Applications must include the contact details for at least two professional referees one of whom should be your current employer.
Completed applications should be submitted electronically via ‘Apply Now’ on TES Online. The initial deadline for receipt of applications is 9 am GMT on 8th November 2019.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview in Manchester, Cairo or via Skype.
Employer: The British International School, Cairo (BISC)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Contract type: Full time
Start date: 20th August 2020
Contract term: Two years, renewable
Closing date: 8th November 2019
The British International School, Cairo is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to safer recruitment practices, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. UK based appointees will be required to obtain an ICPC check.