We are seeking to appoint a dynamic, highly motivated and inspirational Head of English to lead our strong and dedicated team of English teachers with a track record of exceptional results. Since the introduction of the new GCSE specifications in English Language and English Literature, outcomes in English have been well above national with more than 80% of students at Norton Hill achieving the benchmark of Grade 4 in English and over 25% of students achieving Grade 7 and above. Progress is also strong with three successive years of positive outcomes against the Progress 8 measure. English A Levels are a popular choice in our thriving sixth form with 88% of students achieving A*-C Grades in 2019. Besides our academic success, we also pride ourselves on our rich and creative curriculum with a wealth of enrichment opportunities to promote engagement and enjoyment of the subject. The successful candidate will be working within a friendly and supportive team situated in a new, purpose-built English block with excellent facilities. This post would be particularly suited to a candidate with experience as a middle leader who is looking for a new challenge and the opportunity to have a wider impact in leading a large and highly effective department within a high performing school.
Norton Hill is part of the Midsomer Norton School Partnership (MNSP), a growing Multi Academy Trust which currently comprises of six secondary schools. The Head of English at Norton Hill will work closely with the Director of English for the MNSP to ensure that outcomes for students of all abilities and backgrounds remain high. Within the Trust, Norton Hill has a reputation for innovation in teaching & learning and leads the way on secondary English strategy, including assessment, monitoring and intervention. The Head of English would be expected to maintain and enhance this reputation by continually seeking to develop and improve English provision and ensure that students at Norton Hill are given the best possible experience of secondary English. The successful candidate will also be part of the MNSP English Leadership Team and will have regular opportunities to share ideas and work closely with the other English leaders in the Trust to steer policy and have a wider impact.
Successful applicants will:
● Have an infectious passion and enthusiasm for their subject
● Be committed to exceptional standards of teaching and learning
● Be able to motivate, challenge and inspire staff and students to achieve their best
● Establish and develop excellent relationships with students and staff
● Help maintain outstanding results in the English department
● Contribute to our core vision and values
We can offer you:
● A school with outstanding behaviour and safety for all
● Excellent facilities for teaching and learning
● Leading Edge professional development to support and improve your leadership skills in preparation for further promotion
● An emphasis on core traditional values of good manners, engagement and high academic achievement
Norton Hill serves Midsomer Norton, Radstock and the surrounding rural area where there is an abundance of attractive and affordable housing. The school is on the edge of the Mendips but close to Bath, Bristol, Frome and Wells.
Closing date: 2nd March 2020 (Midday)
Interviews: w/c 9th March 2020
Norton Hill School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicant will need to undertake an enhanced disclosure via the Disclosure & Barring Service.