Head of English - Full time appointment from 1st September 2019
Wirral Grammar School is an 11 to 18 selective school. “Wirral Grammar School for Boys is a forward looking school that provides an outstanding education for its students. Parents are overwhelmingly positive about the school.” Ofsted.
Wirral Grammar School is a great place to work in. Our pupils are keen and there is a strong sense of collegiality and support among the staff. We place an equal emphasis on academic achievement and extra-curricular activity, all of which can be justifiably described as ‘outstanding’. You will find our school, one in which you can flourish professionally and enjoy the job of teaching your subject and motivating able students to achieve to the very best of their ability.
We are looking to appoint for September 2019, an experienced and enthusiastic Teacher of English to lead an already successful department on to even greater achievement. The successful candidate will be expected to enhance the profile and enjoyment of English amongst both those who take the subject and the wider school community. The successful candidate will be expected to teach and lead across the full 11-18 range to Advanced Level. Full commitment to leading and developing the Department’s intervention and enrichment programme is essential.
Skills and competencies required:
- A well-qualified English Graduate
- An individual who is passionate about English and literacy skills, promoting enthusiasm for and interest in the subject
- Experience of having taught across the full 11 to 18 age-range and across the full secondary school ability range.
- Previous leadership experience either of a Department or within a Department (for example, a Key Stage or specific courses). (Desirable but not essential).
- Experience of working with Exam Boards either as a marker/moderator. (Desirable but not essential)
- Experience of all-ability teaching with a particular awareness of the needs of able students
- A competent level of ICT proficiency and the ability to use ICT in your teaching
- Ability to lead and to work within a team of well-qualified and highly professional individuals
- A keen eye for data; being able to use performance data to inform intervention and planning
- Familiarity with the use of target-setting data to maximise student achievement
- Engagement in department monitoring activities: work scrutiny, peer observation, pupil surveys etc.
- A commitment to contribute to ‘whole school’ teaching and learning developments through the sharing of practice
What we are able to offer
- A high level of professional support with access to training where required and induction at both Department and School levels.
- A well-resourced Department
- An in-house CPD programme that encourages professional development.
- An ICT rich environment
To apply click on the link below.
The completed WGSB application form, WGSB Self Disclosure Form and covering letter (as detailed in the application process of the Job Description) should be sent to Mrs Tanya Fry, Headteacher's PA: email@example.com. The closing date for applications is Friday 26th April 2019 at 12 noon.
For further information on the school see below or visit our website at www.wirralgrammarboys.com