Head of Geography
Permanent – Full-time
KST Teaching Staff Pay Scale
Start Date: September 2019
The West London Free School aims to provide all pupils, no matter what their background, with a classical liberal education. We have a distinctive school culture built on a passion for bringing rich, demanding and inspiring knowledge to pupils of all abilities. We treasure the subject knowledge of staff, we value their passion for continuing to grow as subject-specialists and we support their subject-specific development. There is a firm and fair approach to behaviour, systematically supported by senior staff: all pupil detentions are centralised and run by senior staff every day. Teachers are therefore able to prioritise the planning and teaching of subject knowledge. School leaders all teach, love their subjects, understand workload pressures and are highly visible around school.
Teachers in the Geography Department have a broad range of interests covering aspects of physical and human geography, and all staff teach across the three key stages. All KS3 pupils receive two 55-minute lessons of Geography per week, and all have to choose history or geography at GCSE. We currently have four GCSE classes in Years 10 and 11 and two classes of Y12 and Y13. We consider fieldwork to be an essential part of the curriculum, and this includes residential trips at GCSE to the coast, and at A-Level to Snowdonia. There have also been a variety of different London and UK based trips, and two trips to Iceland, with a trip to Northern Ireland planned for this summer.
We are looking for a Head of Geography who:
• has a detailed knowledge of and passion for Geography, and who will enthuse staff, pupils and parents with a love for the subject.
• will be a model of excellent practice, leading the Geography department, maintaining a clear focus on the outstanding delivery of Geography across all key stages.
• will stimulate and encourage pupils to a high standard of interest and work in the subject, ensuring that the needs of the individual are met.
• will monitor the progress of pupils according to the department and school assessment policy
• will show a commitment to enhancing the quality of teaching and learning in the department by taking part in sharing resources, collaborative teaching, mentoring and active participation in continuing professional development.
• has excellent team working skills.
• has effective and efficient communication skills with both pupils and staff.
• will continue to develop the introduction of the new GCSE and A-Level curricula – we are following AQA at GCSE and OCR at A-Level.
• is well-read in wider education debates, particularly regarding the nature of school curricula and assessment.
• will work with teachers in the West London Free School Trust’s primary schools to develop a knowledge-based KS2 geography curriculum.
• can contribute to Initial Teacher Education at the West London Free School, and who can mentor new entrants to the profession to the intellectual standards that the school expects of its staff.
• wants to continue to develop the Geography extra-curricular provision at the West London Free School, particularly in terms of organising guest speakers and leading trips both in London, elsewhere in Britain and overseas.
The West London Free School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Application deadline: Monday 20th May 2019. Interviews will take place shortly after the closing date.
If you wish to apply, please complete and return the attached application form with a covering letter via email to Sarah Noel at email@example.com.