Safa Community School is seeking to appoint an outstanding, talented and visionary Head of History. The successful applicant will have a proven track record of success as a teacher and will be able to demonstrate that they have improved outcomes (especially academic) for students. The candidate will be expected to teach across the age and ability range, up to and including A-Level. Current A-Level experience would be a major advantage.
The Head of Department will need the passion and commitment to promote and develop an outstanding History department. The Head of Department will also be responsible for all DSIB Inspection preparation and readiness.
Selection process to be held as applications are received.
Safa Community School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The post is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
What can SCS offer?
• the ability to develop and grow within the Secondary School;
• the opportunity to be innovative and to develop new educational procedures and student experiences;
• the ability to develop a significantly broad portfolio;
• an exciting, challenging and stimulating place to work in a friendly and welcoming environment.
Who/what is SCS looking for?
• excellent leadership potential, strong management and communication skills demonstrable through your present role;
• the ability to communicate a clear vision for improving standards within the department;
• a capacity for hard work and resilience; and a belief that this is at the core of success;
• a creative thinker with an ability and determination to secure high quality outcomes for all students;
• an exceptional and innovative classroom practitioner;
• demonstrable ability to lead, inspire and motivate others;
• readiness for meeting the high expectations in Dubai with enthusiasm;
• a leader who places the well-being of all students first.
General Professional Responsibilities of Teachers
The professional duties of a teacher shall be deemed to include the following duties:
• Teaching, including planning and preparing courses and lessons, setting and marking of work and assessing, recording and reporting on development, progress and attainment in line with the school’s expectations and policy.
• Using data to inform classroom teaching, monitoring and tracking student progress and putting in place timely interventions.
• Preparing students for public examinations, assessing students for the purposes of such examinations, recording and reporting such assessments and attending meetings connected with the conduct of public examinations.
• Communicating and consulting with the parents of students, including the writing of reports and attendance at parents’ evenings and open evenings.
• Maintaining good order and discipline among the students he/she is teaching.
• Participating in departmental meetings and Open Evenings.
• Working as a member of a team in the shaping of departmental policy and practice, introduction of curricular initiatives, the preparation and development of programmes of study and methods of teaching and assessment.
• Participating in administrative and organisational tasks in order to ensure the smooth running of the department.
• Keeping up to date with curriculum innovation, participating in arrangements for CPD, contributing to his/her own professional development.
• Working collaboratively with support teachers in the classroom.
• Taking responsibility for the monitoring and support of a beginning teacher taking his/her class, if appropriate.
• Setting work for his/her classes where absence is known in advance and setting work for absent colleagues where required.
• Taking responsibility for a designated area of the curriculum, administration or curriculum innovation or project.
• Carrying out other tasks as reasonably directed by the Head of Department.
• Familiarising themselves with the DSIB inspection framework and the expectations of outstanding teaching and learning in the UAE.
• Being supportive of the UAE initiatives and cultural expectations.
It is desirable that the successful candidate:
• Will hold relevant qualifications and QTS.
• Is able to teach up to A-Level.
• Most importantly should be enthusiastic about the subject and be able to convey this to students.
• Have an understanding of assessment and examination requirements for KS3, KS4 and KS5.
• Be an outstanding teacher with the ability to demonstrate outstanding practice and progress of students.
• Works effectively as part of a team.
• Actively keeps up to date with the developments in their subject.
• Has a willingness to develop as a professional, taking opportunities to train further within the department, or outside to progress in their career.
• Leadership opportunities are available at SCS for the right candidate.
• The ability to teach other subjects should be stated in the application.
• This job description will be reviewed regularly and may be subject to modification and amendment.