The Head of Department is the Curriculum Leader and will assume effective responsibility for the day-to-day leadership and administration of all aspects of the teaching and learning of History in the Senior School. The role would suit a professional with aspirations of senior management within the UK or international sectors in the medium term.
Applications are welcome from teachers with well-developed, proven organisational and leadership skills who have experience of teaching in a British-curriculum school and have at least three years teaching experience post qualification. Previous experience of teaching History within the National Curriculum for England is essential; knowledge and experience of teaching the IB Diploma is desirable.
The position will be available from 1st September 2018.
The successful candidate will be expected to support the development of the subject, and will:
● be a graduate in History and with qualified teacher status;
● have an outstanding knowledge and understanding of a range of relevant subject matter;
● be able to demonstrate excellent classroom practice for teaching and learning;
● be an enthusiastic and innovative teacher with a genuine love of the subject, who can motivate and inspire students using a wide range of teaching strategies;
● be fully cognisant of Assessment for Learning and include AfL as an integral part of classroom practice;
● be expected to teach History across the age range, stretching the very brightest students and supporting the weaker students;
● be able to work as a member of a team and to contribute to the further development of the subject;
● be committed to his/her own professional development, and explore relevant opportunities for the use of ICT as a tool for teaching and learning;
● involve himself/herself fully in the School’s co-curricular programme.
To comply with Egyptian employment law, applicants must have a MINIMUM of three years teaching experience.
The British International School, Cairo (BISC) operates its own teaching scale, which reflects that in the UK, and is related to teaching experience. All salaries are paid tax free. In addition all teachers appointed from outside Egypt on an overseas contract receive rent-free, high-quality accommodation and generous fee remission for eligible children (100% for the first and second child). The School offers BUPA Gold level health insurance for teachers and eligible members of their family.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply by submitting a letter of application, addressed to the Principal (maximum two sides of A4) accompanied by a copy of your curriculum vitae (maximum two sides of A4).
Completed applications should be sent electronically via ‘Apply Now’ on TES Online. The deadline for receipt of applications is 12.00 p.m. GMT on 23rd January 2018.
Please include contact details for at least two professional referees as well as a photograph.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified and invited to interview in London or via Skype in February.
● have at least three years’ teaching experience in a British-curriculum/style school;
● hold Qualified Teacher Status or its equivalent.
Apply: Applications should be sent electronically via ‘Apply Now’ on TES Online.
Employer: The British International School, Cairo (BISC)
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Contract type: Full time
Start date: 1st September 2018
Contract term: Until the end of the 2019-2020 academic year, renewable
Closing date: 23rd January 2018
The British International School, Cairo is committed to safeguarding and protecting the children and young people that we work with. As such, all posts are subject to a safer recruitment process, including the disclosure of criminal records and vetting checks. We ensure that we have a range of policies and procedures in place which promote safeguarding and safer working practice across the school.