HEAD OF HR
OVERALL JOB PURPOSE
The Head of Human Resources coordinates and manages the implementation of all staff services, policies, and programmes; reporting to the Head of Finance and Resources, assisting and advising the Executive Board and Senior Leadership Team Members on Human Resources issues and strategic development.
● The Head has overall responsibility for all employees of The Abbey School and this is delegated to Heads of Departments
● This post is within the Human Resources Department and the post-holder is directly accountable to the Head of Finance and Resources
● The post-holder will be directly responsible for three members of staff
Skills and person specification
● Broad knowledge of, and experience in, employee relations, employment law, compliance, risk management, remuneration, training and professional development, health and safety, organisational planning
● Good oral and written communication skills
● Excellent interpersonal and coaching skills
● The ability to participate in senior management debate and decision making, advising the Head/Exec on HR issues
● The ability to interact effectively with all staff at all levels
● Excellent computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment. Must include Excel and skills in database management and record keeping.
● The ability to hold a high level of confidentiality
● Excellent organisational skills
Qualifications and experience
● CIPD (Chartered Institute of Personnel Development) qualified is desirable
● Experience in Human Resources Management
● School/Education sector experience advantageous
● Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organisations, and ongoing community involvement preferred
For specific responsibilities please see full job description.
Hours of work
● This is a senior full-time role
● The seniority of this appointment may mean that on occasions the post holder may be required to work ‘out of hours’ as necessary for the proper performance of their duties, to meet essential deadlines and contribute to whole school events. These events are an inclusive element of the role and do not attract overtime payment or TOIL but are accommodated within the salary on offer
● This is a whole school role and a flexible attitude to working hours is essential as you will be required to work 'out of hours work' from time to time.
● There will be a probationary period of six months during which one months notice is required by either party. Thereafter the notice period will be 3 months
Salary and Benefits
● In the region of £50-55k dependent on skills and experience. Staff are paid monthly and in arrears
● The School offers a non-contributory pension scheme worth 8.35% of salary, which is available to all eligible employees
● Lunches are provided daily with no charge
● Staff fee concession is available to employees’ daughters who satisfy the entrance requirements and for whom there is a place available.
● Parking is normally available, but not guaranteed.
● 25 days booked holiday per year; holidays to be agreed with the Head beforehand
● 4 concessionary days to be taken at the school’s discretion (usually at Christmas)
The Abbey School aims to promote equality of opportunity for all with the right mix of qualifications and abilities, talent, personal qualities, skills and potential. The Abbey School welcomes applications from candidates of diverse backgrounds and personal circumstances. A detailed Equal Opportunities policy is available on request.
The Abbey is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and as an employee of The Abbey you are expected to share this commitment. The protection of our students’ welfare is the responsibility of all staff within The Abbey School and individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of our organisation.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Under current legislation, we are required to advise applicants that this appointment will be subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service enhanced disclosure. Details of any criminal record (spent or unspent, due to exemption from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) must be disclosed at interview. Only relevant convictions and other information will be taken into account so disclosure need not necessarily be a bar to obtaining a position at this School. For further information, contact the Disclosure and Barring Service on 0870 9090 811 or visit the Disclosure website at www.disclosuresdbs.co.uk.
For more information on our lively and well-resourced school please visit our website www.theabbey.co.uk.
To apply for this position, please visit our website and go onto the recruitment portal (work for us section) to complete an online application form in full, including details of suitable referees as instructed. Please also attach a CV and covering letter. If you have any queries or work like any further information, please contact us at email@example.com.
INTERVIEWS WILL ONLY BE ARRANGED FOLLOWING RECEIPT OF A COMPLETED APPLICATION FORM.
Closing date: Friday, 22nd November 2019
Suitable applicants may be invited to Interview before the closing date.
If your skills and experience are suitable for the role we will be in touch shortly. If you have not heard from us by the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.