Head of Maths
Contract start date: September 2021
Salary: Qualified teaching pay scale T1 – T9 (£25,714 – £41,604)
Plus, TLR 1C (£10,202)
Full time, permanent post
Canon Slade School is seeking to appoint a Head of Maths in this very popular and successful Church of England Academy of 1,760 students (335 in the Sixth Form). We welcome applications from highly talented and experienced leaders who want to achieve amazing things with our great students in our oversubscribed 11-18 school. Our students progress onto world-class universities and institutions to further study or gain apprenticeships and employment. Our aim is to fulfil individual potential and prepare pupils for life in a rapidly changing world by providing an excellent education within a Christian environment.
Canon Slade School is a member of the recently formed Bishop Fraser Trust, a C of E multi academy trust established in 2017. This is an exciting time to join us as it provides a great opportunity to work closely with the other two schools in the MAT - St James’s C of E High School and Bolton St Catherine’s Academy; sharing good practice and building on our ongoing progress.
The schools of The Bishop Fraser Trust aim to offer:
• A high quality, inclusive and distinctive education
• A caring and nurturing environment based on our Christian values, recognising the uniqueness of each child.
The main purpose of this role is:
• To be responsible and accountable for all aspects of the leadership and management of Teaching and Learning in Mathematics.
• To actively promote the Christian ethos of the school.
The post holder will be an individual who will:
• have an enthusiasm for Mathematics, which motivates and supports other staff and encourages a shared understanding of the contribution Mathematics can make to all aspects of pupils’ lives
• have a clear vision for the future of the department and strategies for achieving it
• be an enthusiastic and innovative team player with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to achieving high standards within a successful department.
• be an excellent classroom practitioner
• have a clear understanding of the characteristics of high quality teaching and be able and willing to teach across the whole age and ability range
• quickly build rapport and effective professional relationships with both our young people and colleagues
• actively share good practice and seek to explore ways to improve their own and others’ teaching
• understand that behaviour management starts with the quality of teaching in the classroom
• demonstrate personal resilience and role model those personal qualities we wish to instill in our young people
In return we can offer:
• fantastic facilities
• a supportive and encouraging staff team
• 24/7 access to an Employee Assistance Programme
• access to a Cycle to Work Scheme
• a rigorous and motivational weekly programme of continuous professional development and access to opportunities through the Trust’s Teaching School
• a long weekend at the end of November
An Applicant Information Pack, Job Description and Person Specification for this post are attached.
For more information, please contact our HR team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please complete the TES online application form – do not send CVs or open references as part of your application as these will not be considered.
Please also include an accompanying letter, no more than 2 pages of A4, demonstrating what you would contribute to the school and why you would be the best candidate for this role.
It is important that you provide a complete employment history from when you left full time education. If the application form is not fully completed or has unexplained gaps in your employment history, your application will not be considered. Copies of your qualifications will be required at the interview stage; please do not send these with your application.
Selected candidates will be emailed (usually within 48 hours of the closing date) to invite them to interview. Please note that referees will be contacted at this stage of the process.
If you do not hear from the school within two weeks of the closing date, then please assume that your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
The school has an Equal Opportunities policy. If you consider yourself to be disabled, please state the nature of the disability, giving details of how we can accommodate these needs should you be selected for interview and subsequently appointed.
In accordance with the Data Protection Act, the details provided in the application form will be used for selection and interview procedures, and for employment records if your application is successful. A copy of our Recruitment Privacy Notice can be found on the Bishop Fraser Trust website. Safer Recruitment practice will be followed at all times.
Prior to taking up the appointment, the successful candidates will be asked to provide documentary evidence (including National Insurance number) showing their entitlement to work in the UK. We will also carry out an enhanced DBS and declaration of health check.
Closing date: Friday 5th March 2021 at 9am
Interview date: TBC
Canon Slade School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years