Highfield Priory School
Head of P.E.: job description
Person to whom the teacher is responsible: Headmaster
This job description may be amended at any time, following consultation between the headmaster and teacher, and will be subject to review.
Core purpose of post
To provide a high quality educational experience for all children.
Knowledge and understanding
· Have knowledge of and keep up-to-date with the National Curriculum, best practice of the teaching of the School’s agreed syllabus.
· Understand how pupils’ learning is affected by their physical, intellectual, emotional and social development and understand the stages of child development. Promote pupils’ self esteem through the school’s pastoral care policy.
· Select and make good use of ICT skills as required.
· Be familiar with the school’s current systems and structures as outlined in policy documents.
· Understand and know how national school data including National Curriculum test data can be used to set clear targets for pupils’ achievement.
· Have an awareness of Safeguarding and Child Protection procedures.
Planning, teaching and management
· Plan and deliver the teaching programme for all pupils in relation to the curriculum.
· Make effective use of assessment information on pupil’s attainment and progress and in planning support lessons.
· Ensure effective teaching of individuals establishing high expectations of behaviour and attainment, so that teaching objectives are met.
· Use a variety of teaching and learning styles.
· Evaluate your own teaching critically to improve effectiveness.
Monitoring, assessment, recording, reporting and accountability
· Assess and record each pupil’s progress systematically with reference to the school’s current practice, including the social progress of each child and use the results to inform planning.
· Provide reports on individual progress to the headmaster, class teachers and parents as required.
Other professional requirements
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with professional colleagues and parents.
· Participate as required in meetings with professional colleagues and parents in respect of the duties and responsibilities of the post.
· Be aware of the need to take responsibility for your own professional development.
Purpose of job
· To teach to the highest level as a PE/Games teacher.
Responsibilities and relationships
· To carry out all duties and tasks as required by the headmaster in order to realise the effective teaching and learning of all children.
· To consult with the Key Stage Coordinator regarding any pupil or any new initiative being adopted in curriculum matters.
· Full time teaching from Nursery through to Year 6.
· To manage a full fixture list for girls and boys.
· To support other staff who work in the department.
· A thorough understanding of Health and Safety issues.
· Carry out duties assigned by the headmaster as part of the teaching timetable.
· Participate in extra-curricular activities as assigned by the headmaster.
· To augment the pastoral care policy to all pupils.
· To assist the headmaster and Senior Management Team in affecting the agreed norms of behaviour and discipline of all pupils at all times.
· To foster and promote the good name of the school to all external agencies and to the public generally.
· To attend courses when required by the headmaster pertinent to the effective teaching of the curriculum and to the teacher’s own professional development.
· To attend parents’ evenings, open evenings and other functions as assigned by the headmaster.
· To carry out other tasks required from time to time by the headmaster, pertaining to benefit the school overall.
· Elements of this job description may be subject to change at any time at the headmaster’s discretion.