Burton Borough is a vibrant and inclusive mixed Community School of 1170 students, situated on the Shropshire/ Staffordshire border within the pleasant market town of Newport. Our location provides easy access to/ from Shrewsbury, Stafford, Telford and Wolverhampton. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Successful applicants will need to undertake a DBS enhanced clearance for the school.
Duties and responsibilities as a Head of Subject are numerous but in main, we are seeking to appoint someone who:
• Can lead development of appropriate syllabuses, resources, schemes of work, marking policies, assessment and teaching and learning strategies within the PE Department.
• Day to day management, control and operation of course provision within the department, including effective deployment of staff and physical resources, including students and any support staff linked to the department.
• Data and evidence-focused with excellent attention to detail.
• Work with an excellent team of PE teachers to formulate aims, objectives and strategic plans for the department which have coherence and relevance to the needs of students and to the aims, objectives and strategic plans of the school.
• Creative approach to inspiring students and delivering effective interventions
• Experience in challenging high potential students
• Lead and manage the business planning function of the department and to ensure that the planning activities of the department reflect the needs of students within the subject area, SIP/DIP and the aims and objectives of the school
• Is extremely knowledgeable in Physical Education and has a real enthusiasm for their subject with experience of delivering excellent results
• Teaches engaging and challenging lessons that promote students’ abilities to learn independently and to respond effectively to feedback
• Believes that PE has an important role to play in the development of students’ skills, knowledge and understanding
• Values extra-curricular and is passionate about delivering a high quality extra-curricular program, along with the promotion of a ‘Healthy Schools’ ethos
• Recognises the value of learning beyond the classroom in enhancing the understanding and experience of the world in which we live. To give students out of school experience by organising local and international trips.
• Establish and maintain links with partners in the community.
• Is keen to work in a school which is held in high esteem by its parents and who want further to extend this reputation for excellence.
• Is prepared to accept and endorse the aims and policies of the school as outlined in the accompanying documentation
• An innovative Physical Education curriculum recognised by Youth Sport Trust
• An extensive and inclusive extra-curricular offer including local and international Sports Tours
• A professional learning culture that is highly focused on developing your teaching craft
• A well-equipped, modern learning environment that includes a new £8 million teaching block
• A strong community ethos built through a small School System, with each School retaining a strong sense of identity
• A ‘stage not age’ attitude to career development opportunities
• A school that provides rich opportunities for extra-curricular activities including the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme, school expeditions to locations such as Tanzania and Borneo, team sports, dramatic performances and an internationally acclaimed School Band
For further information, please visit our website at www.burtonborough.org.uk, or telephone 01952 386500 or email the Principal's PA at firstname.lastname@example.org
For daily updates and to see what we do, follow us on Twitter or Instagram @BurtonBorough
Burton Borough School is a co-educational, non-denominational secondary school in Newport, Shropshire. At its most recent inspection there were 1,044 students aged 11-16 on the school roll. A new £8 million building opened in June 2015 and the school...