Discovery College Website: http://www.discovery.edu.hk
Discovery College is a part of the English Schools Foundation. The College opened in 2008 in new, purpose-built campus in Discovery Bay, Hong Kong in August 2008. The College is now a full Years 1-13 (K-12) school with over 1,350 primary and secondary students offering the International Baccalaureate PYP, MYP and Diploma programmes. Our school community is diverse and represents a group of highly motivated staff and students from over 40 home countries.
The College's Vision Statement of Grow. Discover. Dream., recognises the need for students to be independent, critical and creative thinkers, equipped with the skills, attitudes and values to contribute positively in this complex world we live.
ESF is searching for an experienced and dynamic Head of Primary to lead within our community of over 1400 students and staff, strongly supported by a very active parent body and PTA.
Discovery College was established by the English Schools Foundation to serve the needs of the local and expatriate communities in Hong Kong. It is a full Years 1 to 13 school offering the PYP, MYP, DP and CP programmes. The College uses English as the medium for teaching and learning. There is also a strong emphasis on the acquisition of Chinese (Putonghua) as a second language.
The position offers the right candidate the opportunity to join the ESF family of twenty-two schools, lead and manage the Primary sector and experience the dynamic environment that Hong Kong has to offer.
• Contributing to the College-wide Strategic Plan and implementing it in the PYP.
• As a member of the College leadership team, ensure the continuum (PYP, MYP, DP & CP) is at the centre of strategic development and that all phase development is consistent with overall College aims and objective.
• Supporting the development and implementation of the whole-College and phase strategic plans.
• Line management, including performance management, of 3 vice principals.
Teaching and Learning
• Adding value to teaching and learning throughout the phases to ensure quality student outcomes.
• Monitoring progress of the relevant IB programmes.
• Lead strategic curriculum meetings and overseeing the implementation.
• Keeping parents informed of strategic curriculum developments and addressing parents’ questions.
• Building effective and diplomatic working relationships with all constituents of the College.
• Implementing strategies to build the capacity of teacher leaders.
• Seeking opportunities to promote the College within the wider community.
• Supporting community initiatives and attending school events.
• Communicating effectively and regularly in a variety of ways – verbally, in writing, and through regular meetings with the Principal, staff, students and parents.
Wellbeing and professional development
• Working with faculty to create a strong curriculum framework with which to drive teaching and learning.
• Encouraging shared decision making and strengthening staff efficacy and performance through teamwork.
• Welcoming new teachers and assisting the Principal with orientation and induction.
• Ensuring that ongoing professional development is appropriate to the needs of the College.
• Monitoring student behaviour and, if necessary, meeting with students and/or their parents through a restorative approach.
• Working alongside the Admissions Office and teachers on the issue of beginning and leaving the College and the procedures that should accompany both of these events.
• Chairing middle and senior leaders’ meetings and sharing in administration responsibilities that arise as a result of consultation.
• Overseeing the Primary Admissions process in collaboration with the Admissions Manager and the designated Vice Principal.
• Monitoring staffing needs, both academically and generally.
• Developing a budget based on programme needs in conjunction with the Principal and Business Manager and keeping a record of all budgeting and financial expenditure.
• Ensuring the effective management of phase budgets to achieve agreed activities and objectives.
• Coaching and mentoring employees to the highest standards, using professional development opportunities to grow and develop individuals as appropriate.
• Cooperating and collaborating with other senior managers to ensure consistent development and application of educational policies.
• Attending and contributing to the ESF Executive Leadership Committee (Committee of Principals) and the ESF Primary Heads Group.
• Participating fully in the review of the College’s performance.
Core Professional / Technical Competencies Required
Abilities – The candidate will be skilled at
• Setting high expectations and fostering a culture of continuous improvement
• Building a professional learning community
• Building positive relationships with external stakeholders from different cultural backgrounds
• Reflecting and evaluating when embedding change in a school context
Knowledge – The candidate will
• Have an understanding of leadership capabilities in a school context
• Have sound understanding of the primary/secondary curriculum in an international setting for students of all abilities
• Understand how students learn and in particular how to meet the needs of EAL and special needs students
• Understand effectiveness in Performance Management and Development
Minimum Typical Education
• Teaching Qualification
• Bachelor degree (postgraduate qualifications preferred)
Minimum Typical Experience
• Senior management experience in a similarly sized (Primary or all-age) school
• Experiences in a range of different schools and/or a school with a well developed
Notes: Two year finite contract, renewable by mutual consent
Closing Date: 20 Oct 2019
For enquiries, please contact Joyce Kwok at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be submitted online through https://recruit.esf.edu.hk
Step 1: Go to the Registration tab and register. You will then receive an email with an activation link.
Step 2: When your account has been activated, login to the system and click "Job Listing"
Step 3: Check the box next to the job(s) that you wish to apply for and click "Apply & Continue".
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.