Cottesmore is a leading IAPS co-educational boarding prep school situated in attractive West Sussex countryside between Crawley and Horsham, within easy distance of Brighton and the coast, Gatwick and London. It was founded in 1894.
Our ethos combines the best of traditional boarding school care and commitment with the latest in innovation, including a new classroom block and Design & Technology/IT centre. The team are well qualified, inspirational and dedicated and our skills go beyond our specialist subjects. Cottesmore aims to produce children with well-developed social skills and an awareness of the needs of others. Within that broad and ambitious vision a rigorous academic dimension is paramount. Music, Sport, Art and Drama are significant elements of the life of the School and there is a strong and varied programme of activities.
Academic standards are high and pupils enter the Senior School of their choice, either through Scholarship or Common Entrance. Destinations include Benenden, Downe House, Eton, Harrow, King’s Canterbury, Marlborough, Radley, Winchester, Wycombe Abbey and all other major Public Schools.
Cottesmore seeks to appoint a graduate to lead the scholarship programme at Cottesmore. The candidate will either be an academic scholar themselves, or have strong experience leading prep school pupils to scholarship success. This year we have boys and girls taking academic scholarships to Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Benenden, Wellington and to other Public Schools.
The Head of Scholars role will be performed alongside a classroom teaching role in our prep school which spans from Years 4 to 8. The teaching role available, or associated with the Head of Scholars position, at present is Head of Classics, the timetable for which is largely Latin. The successful candidate will be expected to continue a dynamic and innovative approach to teaching Classics, whilst having the opportunity within the department to progress in his or her own way.
The successful candidate will make a significant contribution to the extra-curricular life of our busy boarding school, especially with regards to coaching team sport.
Accommodation is available for the successful candidate.
- To drive all suitable pupils to scholarship success.
- To co-ordinate all aspects of scholarship logistics with Public Schools.
- To plan, prepare and teach lessons according to the educational needs of pupils assigned to him/her.
- To assess, record and report on the development, progress and attainment of the pupils assigned to him/her within the guidelines written in the Staff Handbook.
- As a Form Tutor, to promote and facilitate the general progress and well-being of individual pupils within any group of pupils assigned to him/her, providing guidance and advice on educational and social matters.
- To participate in meetings and other activities, both within and out of school, which provide opportunities both for the exchange of views and for other forms of professional development.
- To carry out the administrative tasks and duties outlined in the Staff Handbook.
- To uphold and follow the Staff Code of Conduct, including the school's safeguarding programme
To contribute to the extra-curricular activities of the school which take place regularly during school hours.
· To assist with the teaching of Games each term as well as taking matches at Cottesmore and at other schools
· One daily duty per week and rotated weekend duties.
The Advantages of life at Cottesmore
Staff are remunerated on the Cottesmore Pay Scale which is above the National Pay Spine, at a level appropriate to experience and responsibility.
Teaching posts at Cottesmore are generally residential and the rural environment make it a very pleasant place to live. By car, Cottesmore is half an hour from Brighton, under an hour from London and 10 minutes from local towns, Horsham and Crawley.
The team receive a range of other attractive benefits including substantially discounted fees for their children, free meals, as mentioned above on-site single or married accommodation with access to facilities, including an indoor swimming pool, golf course and tennis courts.
The pupils are very keen to learn and a well-structured support system exists for those with mild learning difficulties.
Teachers wishing to apply should complete an application form and return to the school, addressed to the Headmaster. The role is from September 2018 by negotiation. Further details about the school may be obtained from www.cottesmoreschool.com