British International School of the University of Lodz is a small, but fast growing School in the heart of Poland. The School was set up 6 years ago by the University of Lodz in response to the growing demand for international education in the region. During this time the School has tripled the number of pupils and has reached the number of 130. In September 2019 the school is relocating to new, comfortable premises which will enable to accommodate at least 100 % more students.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, positively minded person to lead our friendly and competent staff to a new level of development. The school has a stable and efficient structure of Head of Departments that manage the day to day operation of the School, but need a person to inspire them and coordinate their work. The successful candidate will have the chance to take part in the exciting time of real growth and development of a small, young school into an established and well recognised institution with exceptional level of education.
We aim to inspire and motivate children and young adults to reach the highest educational and physical standards possible in a respectful and caring environment.
MISSION AND VALUES
AIMS OF THE SCHOOL
- Provide a broad and balanced curriculum, based on the English National Curriculum;
- Create a secure, stimulating and happy environment for pupils;
- Encourage creativity, initiative, independence and the pursuit of excellence;
- Educate children to participate actively in all aspects of modern culture;
- Develop a sense of responsibility, concern for fellow pupils, respect for the school and for the community;
- Encourage understanding and tolerance of other cultures;
- Develop concern for the environment;
- Encourage the adoption of a healthy lifestyle;
SO THAT OUR PUPILS
- Are motivated and learn happily and effectively;
- Are well behaved, considerate and cooperative;
- Make appropriate progress and fulfill their potential;
- Are successful in examinations and well prepared for advanced academic study and work;
- Understand and appreciate other cultures;
- Can successfully pursue appropriate careers;
- Are able to deal with the demands of adult life in a rapidly changing technological world.
THE HEAD OF THE SCHOOL WILL BE EXPECTED TO UNDERTAKE THE FOLLOWING RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborate with the Heads of Sections and the Head of Curriculum to ensure the delivery of high quality curriculum in accordance with Cambridge Curriculum Frameworks and the English National Curriculum.
• Secure the safety of children
• Organise the day to day operation of the school
• Supervise the implementation of Polish legal requirements with regards to curriculum, examinations and documentation
• Ensure a positive and effective learning environment in line with the schools mission and values
• Ensure the effective delivery of high quality teaching and the maintenance of academic standards.
• Coordinate the application process of the school for the IB Diploma Programme
• Prepare the School for inspections of any accrediting and educational institutions
• Support Heads of Sections and teachers in the implementation of initiatives that benefit the school, pupils and staff
• Be responsible for hiring and firing of staff in cooperation with the Chairman of the Board
• Cooperate with respective departments of the University of Łódź and the Supervisory Board
• Support and facilitate collaboration among all members of staff
• Create a supportive working environment for all staff
• Supervise teaching quality and professional behaviour of teachers
• Ensure ongoing professional development of the staff
• Ensure that staff review is completed in a friendly and timely manner
• Enable psychological support and training for pupils and staff
• Optimizes the physical learning environment and technology
• Prepare timetables for classes
• Supervise organization of trips, camps and other events for students activities and parent integration
• Prepare yearly updates of the School Calendar, Calendar of Events and Handbook for Parents
• Design, update and implement strategic action plans to improve the school’s improvement of instruction, learning and assessment.
• Administers the school’s discipline policies and standards of conduct.
• Write and update job descriptions and policies for pupils, parents and staff
• Ensures a smooth cooperation between parents and the school
• Send out a newsletter once a week
• Coordinate cooperation with other international schools
• Supervise and assists the admissions procedure of the School
• Oversee standardized assessment and data management for the entire school
• Participate actively in events and meetings enabling promotion of the school
• Participate in creating marketing strategies for the School
• Ensure responsible expenditure and resource allocation in line with financial policies and yearly budgets prepared by the Chairman of the Board
• Handle grievances of parents and staff except where a grievance is against the Head of School, in which case the Chairman of the Board is responsible.
• Oversee the school safety programs including building security, emergency procedures, transportation regulations, fire drills, etc.
• Have overall responsibility for ensuring that the School's arrangements comply with legal requirements such as health and safety, data protection and data retention policy,
• Keep the Chairman of the board informed of all matters relating to the school through weekly meetings and immediate communication following major school events or happenings.
• Discuss with the Chairman of the Board any new initiatives.
• Represent the School both internally and externally
DESIREABLE CHARACTERISTICS OF A SUCCESFUL CANIDATE:
• A minimum 3 year experience at a position of Head of School or Head of Department in an international school
• Experience in recruitment, retention, supervision and evaluation of staff
• Significant experience in curriculum design and implementation
• Knowledge of the Cambridge curriculum framework and IB Diploma Program
• Experience in supervision of academic program development and facilitating implementation of strategic initiatives
• Love of working with people
• Resourcefulness and can-do attitude
• Ability to delegate tasks and coordinate work of others
• Sense of humour
• Good time management
• Positive attitude in the face of crisis
• Ability to cooperate with different-minded people
• Showing understanding of staff needs and anxieties
• Ability to maintain professional cooperation with parents
• Excellent communication and diplomatic skills